General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

I have always found that some creative people in the metal working trades also enjoy music. Some just listen and some actually play and instrument. Myself? I play guitar, mostly my Martin 00016 flattop but I can also lay it down with my Fender custom shop Tele. I also play some pedal steel.

Anybody else?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Guitar here. Haven't played in about 5 years but was actually considered good at one time. Mainly acoustic. Still have a Takamine electric acoustic around here somewhere maybe pick it back up someday. Got really into bluegrass and then I just got busy with life and the rest is history.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i had and played a Penco 12 string i bought in the early 70s.
arthritic hands ended playing about 8 years ago.
Penco copied Martin and i think was sued an forced
out of business. Japanese made, a real beauty with
excellent sound. days gone by.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Play trumpet in pep band, concert band, and jazz band

And choir...
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Tried to learn some acoustic guitar and never really had the skill set or the dedication. But still try now and again.

Fooled around with guitar years ago. Wasn't really any good at it. Much better as a live sound and recording engineer. Worked in a studio and had a live sound business for a while. Love music. Listen a lot. Mostly classic country.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Farmwelding

ldbtx wrote:Fooled around with guitar years ago. Wasn't really any good at it. Much better as a live sound and recording engineer. Worked in a studio and had a live sound business for a while. Love music. Listen a lot. Mostly classic country.
Well... You are on my good side for sure-classic country-right on
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Drummer here!
Farmwelding

rahtreelimbs wrote:Drummer here!
How do you now a drummer is outside your door?

He doesn't know when to come in

Don't get mad my welding instructor who is a drummer said that one.
Nick

Everybody's favorite drummer joke around the studio I worked at was "What do you call a guy that hangs around with musicians?" "A drummer"

That was first told at the studio by a drummer, also.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
exnailpounder

Imagine the band we could have. A bunch of guys with black stained hands and dirty nails in steel toed boots with the toes wore off and flannel shirts and dirty jeans. Gosh we would have to beat the women off with sticks :lol:
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

What type of music? Heavy metal? :D
exnailpounder

WildWestWelder wrote:What type of music? Heavy metal? :D
:lol:
Farmwelding

We'd play everything probably.

Yeah I went to this jazz clinic today at another school and had previously gone to an honors choir(uckkk!). I walk in with a camo hat, steel toed boots, jeans, and some thick t-shirt or farm shirt. Everyone else is kind of dressed up and look at me like I'm a freak or a little weird. Although at the Jazz clinic, the other schools drummer was wearing boots and a John Wayne and American flag t-shirt so it wasn't too bad.

We kind of stick out like a sore thumb in a crowd like that. Especially when you arms have a lot of small round marks from burns and people look at you weird for that.

Edit: maybe we should get a thing going for fabtech. That will give us some strange looks. :lol:
Last edited by Farmwelding on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I played alto Sax in high school, and discovered I'm a good "technical" player. I can make each note at the time I'm supposed to, but there's no music in me.

So, I'm a listener. I listen to damn near everything. The list of music genres I don't like is short. I can't stand corporation radio (the same six songs hour after hour), so I listen to the public station and my XM/Sirius, and explore on youtube.

Steve S
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:I played alto Sax in high school, and discovered I'm a good "technical" player. I can make each note at the time I'm supposed to, but there's no music in me.

So, I'm a listener. I listen to damn near everything. The list of music genres I don't like is short. I can't stand corporation radio (the same six songs hour after hour), so I listen to the public station and my XM/Sirius, and explore on youtube.

Steve S
So like most- you play the radio. I find it to be the most simple to learn but once you get into the guts-it gets wild at times.
Nick

...and that's why I like Sirius/XM and the public radio. Unlike the classic rock station, or the hick-hop station, I will hear at least two songs I've never heard before every damn day.

I don't understand guys who listen to the classic rock station every day. It's the same handful of songs I've already heard 50K times, over and over. Then, it's interlaced with ads for weight loss and pecker pills.

Steve S
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Been playing guitar for 25 years. Electric mostly, but I do have a nice Spanish classical guitar from the Manuel Rodriguez family of luthiers. I also have two Dean 4-string basses, one fret-less. I mostly try to learn stuff by Yngwie Malmsteen.

Oscar wrote:Been playing guitar for 25 years. Electric mostly, but I do have a nice Spanish classical guitar from the Manuel Rodriguez family of luthiers. I also have two Dean 4-string basses, one fret-less. I mostly try to learn stuff by Yngwie Malmsteen.
Malmsteen exercises will give you carpal tunnel...

Kenny Wayne Sheppard is another I like, though quite different in style.

How about Joe Bonamassa?

Steve S
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:...and that's why I like Sirius/XM and the public radio. Unlike the classic rock station, or the hick-hop station, I will hear at least two songs I've never heard before every damn day.

I don't understand guys who listen to the classic rock station every day. It's the same handful of songs I've already heard 50K times, over and over. Then, it's interlaced with ads for weight loss and pecker pills.

Steve S
We have a couple classic rock stations in Chicago. One is what you describe and the other has a pretty diverse playlist and I regularly hear songs that no one else plays...but they have their usual drones that you hear 5 times a day. Never hear any pecker pill commercials though :lol:
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:...and that's why I like Sirius/XM and the public radio. Unlike the classic rock station, or the hick-hop station, I will hear at least two songs I've never heard before every damn day.

Steve S
At work, we listen to everything from Alison Krause to Rob Zombie. It is not unusual to hear bluegrass, dub-step, old school funk, heavy metal, country and folk on the same day.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've seen Bonamassa in concert twice.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I used to play the radio. Now I usually play the 300 disk CD player. ;)

WoodpeckerWelder wrote:
At work, we listen to everything from Alison Krause to Rob Zombie. It is not unusual to hear bluegrass, dub-step, old school funk, heavy metal, country and folk on the same day.

I'd fit right in, then. If you look through the CDs in my truck, you'd find Queensryche, Five for Fighting, Linda Ronstadt, and Neil Diamond, and many others that don't seem to belong together. I seldom play them since I installed the satellite radio, but once in a while I remember what I spent on them and blow the dust off.

Steve S

Poland308 wrote:I've seen Bonamassa in concert twice.
Haven't been to a Bonamassa concert, but have seen a few broadcast on MTVLive channel. Next time he plays a festival in New Orleans, I might just go. I hate going into the city during festivals, though. The way these people drive gives new meaning to "population density"... :lol:

Steve S