General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rhyno21
    Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Hey there I am a student at a trade school that is for high schoolers and adults. I currently own; 350 Husky mechanic tool kit, harbor freight pry bar set, 2 Irwin vise grips, 2 MIG pliers, a pair of regular pliers, 1 8 oz hammer, 1 slag hammer, one large ball peen hammer, Stanley, punch/chisel set, one screwdriver with 16 bits inside handle, long nose harbor freight locking pliers, wide duck bill harbor freight locking pliers, nut grabbing harbor freight locking pliers, sheet metal harbor freight locking pliers, a razor blade husky knife, a spring assisted stilleto knife, a seraded Kobolt knife, three 25' tape measures, combination square, digital calliper, old school style calipers with tongs, a sheet metal guage, wire cutting and striping pliers, a Miller performance welding helmet, a corded drill with a half inch chuck, TIG torch accessory set for 20 style torches, 4 1/2" angle grinders(Boshe and a Makita) a old passive helmet on a hard hat and this tool box (picture included) Would you say that is all I need for going into the field of work after school? What are your lock box/tool box full of?
Hot rods and burning matal by day
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

For general welding and fitting I just bring a tri-square, a 25' tape, 12" adjustable wrench, slag hammer, wire cutters, torpedo level, file and 2lb. maul. Of course also- gloves, jacket, glasses, hood and steel toe boots. This is all kept in a back pack in case I have to go over there, up that thing, down towards so-and-so then he'll tell me whats up. You can't do that with a box.

Any job specific tools are usually supplied by the company, and the ones that expect you to bring your own usually provide a list. And a lot of odds and ends get brought as needed, but with the way people like to steal tools, I tend to travel pretty light.