General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
lil'bones
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 am

Some good suggestions guys. Unfortunately some of you just have BS to say. Are there no moderators on this forum?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi Mike,
Over here in Oz, Miller are keen to fill up school/college booths with good gear at really cheap pricing. The logic here is the students get used to using Miller gear and grow to love it (who wouldn't) and when they go out into the real world they are likely to buy Miller. Win for everybody.
When I was going through certs in our local TAFE college some years ago every stick/tig booth had a Dynasty 350, every mig booth had a 300 or 350 power source (I can't remember which) and they have a 500amp power source they used for air/carbon gouging. The equipment was traded and replaced every few years to keep it cutting edge. I asked how they could afford it given the penny pinching going on with consumables and other things. They said Miller made it so attractive they couldn't say no.
Might be worth a call.
Also don't cheap out on the press if you are going to be breaking/bending coupons.
Last edited by Coldman on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

lil'bones wrote:Some good suggestions guys. Unfortunately some of you just have BS to say. Are there no moderators on this forum?
Yes, there certainly are. Quite busy and active, too. However, you've entered a neighborhood. A community of like-minded friends. There will be some horseplay, as you would see at a neighborhood barbeque. Someone's getting pushed into the pool with all his clothes on. That does not stop questions from being answered. It's comic relief for those willing to enjoy the joke, and posts to ignore for those who prefer "all business". Welding is the ONLY thing we've collectively agreed to take seriously. Not ourselves or each other, certainly.

If we held this forum to a "strictly business" standard, participation would go straight in the toilet. Our best and brightest have great sense of humor, real humility, and a genuine desire to contribute to helping each other learn.

It's up to the reader to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

lil'bones wrote:Some good suggestions guys. Unfortunately some of you just have BS to say. Are there no moderators on this forum?
Yes there are a few moderators but we kind of figure that it will get back to the actual conversation at some point. A lot of good advice can be hidden in these side tangents and some humor. And we figure that if we build up all of the random crap that goes through our head it turns out bad for a lot of others. It is what it is.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

As Coldman said, major manufacturers love to get students branded early. Esab gave the college I attended a plasma cutter, Bug-o- systems provided a track cutter, and Lincoln hooked it up with a DEEP discount on 36 brand new multi process machines and vent systems. You just have to call them and let them know what you're doing.

Speaking of vent systems- how do they capture the dankness of that sticky icky? That stuff is virtually impossible.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

PeteM wrote:As Coldman said, major manufacturers love to get students branded early. Esab gave the college I attended a plasma cutter, Bug-o- systems provided a track cutter, and Lincoln hooked it up with a DEEP discount on 36 brand new multi process machines and vent systems. You just have to call them and let them know what you're doing.

Speaking of vent systems- how do they capture the dankness of that sticky icky? That stuff is virtually impossible.
Well and a school also may buy 50 machines at a time so a company can afford a little price deduction. Only thing is if you have a lot of machines I reccomend a couple of brands. Typically a solid combination of Miller and Lincoln helps get students from getting attached to certain machines. In he real world they don't have all Miller or all Lincoln.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Coldman

Hey Exie, you've been elevated to communal comic relief. Good score. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Li'l bone... if you have a issue with bs you are gunna have a baaaaadd time here. BTW this wasn't anywhere near the quality standard of BS we have on this farm.

PS There are regularly two mods here. Myself and Otto Nobedder.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Coldman wrote:Hey Exie, you've been elevated to communal comic relief. Good score. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:? And I was waiting for a good ass-chewing too :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Li'l bone... if you have a issue with bs you are gunna have a baaaaadd time here. BTW this wasn't anywhere near the quality standard of BS we have on this farm.

PS There are regularly two mods here. Myself and Otto Nobedder.
Aussie Rules ! :mrgreen:
Coldman

exnailpounder wrote:
Coldman wrote:Hey Exie, you've been elevated to communal comic relief. Good score. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:? And I was waiting for a good ass-chewing too :lol:
Yer, tell me about it. No good smart assing goes unrewarded.

Sent using Tapatalk
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

:lol: :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:That's how my class is set up - several types of machines.
Just for clarity, when Dave says "my class" he means the one he teaches, so he's got some perspective on this one. :)
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:That's how my class is set up - several types of machines.
Just for clarity, when Dave says "my class" he means the one he teaches, so he's got some perspective on this one. :)
Thanks, I likely did not make that clear...oops :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.