General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Beardly47 wrote:If I have to be able to weld 6010 then from what I have seen I need either a stick specific machine or I cannot afford a machine that can do 6010 and AC/DC TIG with all of the fancy settings. From my understanding 6011 is very similar to 6010 and if anything 6011 might be harder to use than 6010 correct me if I am wrong but would I not get near the benefit from practice running 6011 in place of 6010? Everlast make the 200ST that has a dedicated 6010 port and I could get the accessories to do lift start TIG although I was really interested in HF start and being able to do really thin material including aluminium.
6010 and 6011 are virtually the same rods. Slight differences in the coating but they run very similarly. You get alwxcellent penetration on both and both are used with a whip and pause so practicing is the same for both to get the feel of a rod.
I don't "whip" 601X rod unless I have a gap larger than the rod diameter. I use a "bury-rod" technique that almost welds itself if you keep the right push and angle.

Steve S
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Get a TIG and Stick machine.

I can tell you that if you want to do odds and ends, fabrication, repair work, stainless, aluminum and all the fun stuff, you are gonna need to TIG.

A MIG to me is the sped up version of a mix between Stick and TIG, it comes in handy over either process at times but its rare, so if you want to be versatile and ready to fix whatever someone throws at you, a TIG will do it, might take more time than it would with a MIG but it will get done none the less.

I don't really ever MIG, I did it for one project and I am doing it for another coming up but otherwise I TIG or stick everything.
if there's a welder, there's a way