It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:44 am Advanced search

Job related weight lifting.

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Job related weight lifting.

Postby Rhyno21 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:33 am

I was told a year ago by a fellow welder he has (8 years industry experience) that I should at the least be able to physically lift at least 120lbs if not at least 80lbs. How strict are most jobs where the require you to lift a minimum weight? I am mostly talking about jobs where being a CW(Certified Welding) is necessary.
Hot rods and burning matal by day
Rhyno21

Re: Job related weight lifting.

Postby weldin mike 27 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 am

It's commonly taught in Australia that anything over 15kg,(30lbs) should be a dual lift or use some type of aid. I'm not talking about the getter dun mentality, it's the basic guidelines.
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:45 am

I don't know about minimum requirements, but I don't even break a sweat at lifting 120 lbs.

In many jobs over the years we've been required to lift much more than that - up to 400 lbs in some cases (beam on the shoulder).

While in the Air Force back in the 80's and 90's we had a lifting machine to check people and it was over 100 lbs and 10 reps.

I fully support "team lifts" and using machines to do the work whenever possible though.
I'm only saying the number he gave you is actually pretty small.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby exnailpounder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:09 am

I only do 12 ounce curls these day 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:10 am

I believe OSHA says one person lifts at 50 lbs or two person lifts at 75 lbs each for a total weight of 150lbs. That just means if your employer fires you for not being able to lift more weight than that, then you would have legal grounds to fight the decision. Reality is most jobs might mean you lift 75-100lbs occasionally, but if it is required you often handle things of this weight that you use proper techniques ( like only lifting one end at a time) or use lifting aids.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:54 am

OSHA regulations on weight-where do they pull these numbers out of. I looked on a 50 lb bag of bird food in the store once and it said team lift-I had three over my shoulders and I beleive my schools millermatic 211 said the same and weighs 70 lbs. where do they draw these magical numbers? Or is it like everything else and they under rate everything to protect you or a machine.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby PeteM » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:44 am

Strength is definitely an asset in a lot of situations. Being a certified welder doesn't mean you aren't going to have to do anything else. There are the OSHA guidelines, then there is what is actually expected of you in a given situation.

Simple fact- No one respects weakness.

If you shy away, complain, or start looking for the control box for the crane to do something that everybody else does by hand no body will respect you, but if you can grab a big piece of steel and handle it like a boss, you da man.
PeteM
Ace

Postby MinnesotaDave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:00 pm

I look at the guidelines and figure that if a boss went by them, there would be fewer workplace injuries and their insurance would appreciate it.

But I highly doubt they get paid much attention to. I know I've never worked anywhere that talked about them.

Shingles are often 90 lb bundles and get carried up ladders every day. Sometimes one on each shoulder.

I've done the 2 bundle carry before but I don't recommend it - most ladders aren't rated for me + 2 bundles.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:50 pm

OSHA regulations come from previous injuries. They are not proactive; They are knee-jerk reactors. The numbers come from previous injury statistics. That's why there are so many stupid rules; Because stupid people tend to get hurt more often (and more seriously).

That said, It's extremely rare for me to lift more than 65 pounds, and rather rare for 65. I use the overhead crane, hand-carts, forklift, even other people. I have a previous back injury that can flare and put me out of commission for three days, so my boss scrupulously avoids putting me in heavy-lift situations.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Coldman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:59 pm

That's what apprentices are for

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk