It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:40 am Advanced search

Job related weight lifting.

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Re: Job related weight lifting.

Postby LtBadd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:05 pm

exnailpounder wrote:I only do 12 ounce curls these day 8-)

I figured you to be a 16oz guy Jeff.
Richard

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing...sounds boring to me
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Coldman wrote:That's what apprentices are for

Amen to that. The FNGs get a workout at our shop. The young ones, anyway. We have one FNG who's older than me.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:08 pm

LtBadd wrote:

Nah, he likes the good stuff, craft beers and such. Not much of that comes in glass pints, and I doubt he drinks much from aluminum.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 pm

So... Kind of like the Idaho law that prohibits trout fishing from the back of a giraffe I beleive.

We have an similar person to OSHA at school now. We know have safety knives. Utility knive ballades in plastic with a shield. Loon it up its a hoot. Or lathe guards on wood lathes and metal lathes that wouldn't do anything.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:22 pm

LtBadd wrote:

Wow. To think he was only able to lift 6 oz a year ago
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby exnailpounder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
LtBadd wrote:

Nah, he likes the good stuff, craft beers and such. Not much of that comes in glass pints, and I doubt he drinks much from aluminum.

Steve S

These days I drink vodka and Sunny D. I used to brew my own beer and really was into it and I learned how distill and make world class whisky and vodka but the only satisfaction I have ever gotten from alcohol is drinking it...and then getting up in the morning and doing my thing all day and then doing it all again day after day. In other words...controlling something that has contolled and ruined so many lives. I use alcohol...I don't let it use me. ;)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby bruce991 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Well my employer here in Michigan required that mechanics in maintenance (my job) lift 80# three times from ground level to overhead and on a shelf, and repeat, or your not hired. Now at 53 I had lumbar disc removal and fused pins and screws to strengthen. My 11 months of physical therapy and work hardening was a tough go. My therapist refused to put me through the companies requirement. Stated in writing nobody should be putting that much weight above the shoulders and it is a risk it will fall on the head. I had to lawyer up and still had to prove I can lift 80# at least once. That about killed me. Took months fighting for my job. Company could care less the danger. At 60 I am now disabled. So work smart and listen to your body. Forty years of back abuse leaves you in bad shape.
bruce991
Guide

Postby Olivero » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 pm

I am only 20 and used to grin at the older guys I work around, since I do welding, fabrication, refrigeration, plumbing, electrical and all the other stuff I tend to work around and in a lot of different envoirements, a lot of it includes lifting but I see these guys not being able to lift or having back problems, I know I can lift a decent weight, took a 135 lbs. 40" X 40" box today and carried it around. Carry my argon bottle on my shoulder up 6 stories

But for what? There is so much equipment and so many ways to do things that doesn't require you wrecking your body, I listen to the guys telling me to be careful and only do heavy lifting when its really necessary. Learned how to drive forklifts and boom lifts and such things so I don't HAVE to do it the hard way.

Obviously if it comes down to it and there is no other way, I'll do it the hard way and I can do it the hard way but if I can avoid it, I will, you should do the same. No fun in not being able to lift anything though.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Olivero
Ace

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Olivero wrote:I am only 20 and used to grin at the older guys I work around, since I do welding, fabrication, refrigeration, plumbing, electrical and all the other stuff I tend to work around and in a lot of different envoirements, a lot of it includes lifting but I see these guys not being able to lift or having back problems, I know I can lift a decent weight, took a 135 lbs. 40" X 40" box today and carried it around. Carry my argon bottle on my shoulder up 6 stories

But for what? There is so much equipment and so many ways to do things that doesn't require you wrecking your body, I listen to the guys telling me to be careful and only do heavy lifting when its really necessary. Learned how to drive forklifts and boom lifts and such things so I don't HAVE to do it the hard way.

Obviously if it comes down to it and there is no other way, I'll do it the hard way and I can do it the hard way but if I can avoid it, I will, you should do the same. No fun in not being able to lift anything though.

Or you have the guy you work for who cuts trees for the city tell you to do a desk job to save your body and then pays me $8 an hour to lift 150-200 lbs logs and stack wood for 6-8 hrs a day. Some people-I tell ya
I don't mind though. Makes cracking my back feel a lot better at the end of the day.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 pm

exnailpounder wrote:These days I drink vodka and Sunny D.

My cousin Greg is a senior vice-president for marketing at Sunny D.

I don't mix vodka with synthetics, though.

I mix vodka with Kahlua. It's the racist in me, that I like to slam Black Russians... :roll:

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk