General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JEKS
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Yes, seems like outright bans are uncommon.
The ones that have been banned seem deserving. e.g. Alex Jones isn't harmless and his 'news' isn't.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

The channels at risk (or at least the content/producer) that get their only source of income from the ad revenue and have rode the 'gravy train' of steadily increasing revenues and per-view monetization to satisfy their craving for goodies/bits/items until now.

Even apart from the major goof-up on Google's part with putting ads on very questionable content, there's always the risk that the price paid for advertising space gets lowered. That's what's basically happening now. A lot of advertisers have pulled back so there's now a large amount of available 'slots' for the remaining ones to buy into so prices go down.

To sustain their 'habit' some content creators are now suddenly looking towards paid subscriptions. Seems like a bit of a hack to me, but it may work if their fan base is loyal/crazy/persistent (choose your option ;) ) enough..

To me it still seems like it would be better to have diversified in the past and gotten multiple cashflows getting in so if one gets lower then the impact is much less. A channel like AvE (and others) have been using Patreon for some time already and that has given them a different source of income to start with.

I may be wrong, but I don't see Jody as a person who puts all his eggs in 1 basket, so I suspect he may not like the reduction in ad revenues (it's not fun for a content creator), but that he has enough other cashflows to not have to go to 'panic' actions like others.

Bye, Arno.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Jody's newest video addresses the subject of YT at the very end. He stands tall and will survive while the short hitters are scrambling because YT is stealing their lunch money. Que Pink Floyd's "Money" " I'm all right Jack, keep your hands off of my stack" 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

I guess I don't under stand how YouTube works as far as the money thing. I know I enjoy it & even
Chucky. No question Jody is the best. The man has taught me so much. When my e-mail pops
up Jody I can't wait to open it. But I watch them all from time to time, even that Kevin guy &
that's hard to do.

I wish some one would explain what you guys are talking about these channels being drooped? :?:

Fly
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Jody is an incredible welder, has a personality I wish I had, and has a God given ability to teach. In essence, a chain with no weak link.

Bob Moffat comes close to him in the benefit he can offer.

Chuck E 2009 is a bit too commercial, and a bit under skilled. Mr TIG; Not too skilled, knowledgeable, but not so very skilled. Each of them have taught me something. Jody gets the trophy.

Willie
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:AVE, a Canadian chooch meister uses a patereon to fund his videos. I don't like the idea of a continuing payment, I'd rather a one off . But I did buy a ruler from him. Warning: Don't watch his videos unless you like swearing and laughing your ass off.

AvE is always good for a chuckle. Doesn't claim to be a welder but is always entertaining.
If you haven't, I recommend y'all check him out. The only channel I watch regularly besides Jody's.
Cheers
-EB
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

xwrench wrote:
weldin mike 27 wrote:AVE, a Canadian chooch meister uses a patereon to fund his videos. I don't like the idea of a continuing payment, I'd rather a one off . But I did buy a ruler from him. Warning: Don't watch his videos unless you like swearing and laughing your ass off.

AvE is always good for a chuckle. Doesn't claim to be a welder but is always entertaining.
If you haven't, I recommend y'all check him out. The only channel I watch regularly besides Jody's.
Cheers
-EB
Amen. And Fail army of corse.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
RIDETOEAT
    Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Patreon is the future for revenue generation for short video content such as entertaining videos published on YouTube. I watch a couple of sailing video channels that are supported by folks that like what they do and pay per video. Both are in the range of $9000.00 per video, one comes out weekly and the other averages 2 per month. If it has educational or entertainment value, I like this format. I am ok paying to be entertained once in a while.I have supported them in the past but out of work currently and do not do so at this time.

I am indebted to Jody's educational videos, I know 90% of what I do about TIG from watching his video over the years. I buy his shirts and bundled videos when they come out just to give back.
Still running the old Dynasty 300 DX and Millermatic 251 as primary machines.