General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Olivero wrote:Well. You could also do some stitch welds on the plate to the table, then when done, cut it off and grind the welds down. I have heard of that working really well.
This only contains distortion until you cut it loose. The shrinkage occurred anyway. Every heard a tack go "SNAP" half-way through a weld? Why did it do that? Because welding metal affects it in some substantial ways.

Steve S
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

True, the stress and shrinking still occurs but if you relive the stress prior to releasing the piece, I would think it would stay flat.

Say he stitched it to the able and welded the pipe on and then heated the shabang up to whatever temperature it is, 500*F? Something like that and let it cool naturally. It should stay flat.

I THINK.... :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Olivero wrote:True, the stress and shrinking still occurs but if you relive the stress prior to releasing the piece, I would think it would stay flat.

Say he stitched it to the able and welded the pipe on and then heated the shabang up to whatever temperature it is, 500*F? Something like that and let it cool naturally. It should stay flat.

I THINK.... :lol:
Pre-stressing the piece would be much faster in my opinion.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

This is a bit out of my league but I read pre-stressing as in shimming the plate edges and clamping for a slight concave prior to welding to compensate for heat deflection as one suggestion. Curious what would happen if you drilled a hole in the plate centered under the pipe min. 1/2in . Place the plate over a perimeter frame and drop the bolt thru the hole. Under the frame would need a solid cross piece strong enough to tighten the bolt to concave the plate as required. Weld on pipe and after cool release bolt. Have no idea if this would work. If it doesn't work beat the piss out of it with a hammer!! :roll: :?: