It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 am Advanced search

Let's talk helmets, hoods, hats ...whatever you call them.

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Let's talk helmets, hoods, hats ...whatever you call them.

Postby WildWestWelder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:28 pm

I presently have a Jackson Nex Gen helmet that I've had for a few years and it just doesn't seem to be doing it for me as good visibility. I'm 67 and these ol' peepers ain't what they used to be. So, having said that, can you hot rods make some recommendations for a superior helmet? I am not too concerned about price, just better visibility.

Thanks
WildWestWelder
Workhorse

Re: Let's talk helmets, hoods, hats ...whatever you call the

Postby Olivero » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Well, you came to the right place.

Let me give you some options.

THE lincoln Viking series are well known for their larger viewing area, clearer view through the lens and the fact that no green tint is present, some people love them, other's hate them.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/eq ... -3350.aspx

THE new Miller T94 looks fantastic, this is the first helmet Miller made where the green tint is not present.

I personally use a Titanium 9400I and have been for 2 years doing all kinds of odd work and its served me great, still haven't had to change the battery, its clear enough for me to see very well.

https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/helm ... ent=online

There is Optrells Panoramaxx which is due to be released soon and seems to be hottest chick in the show at the moment, chekc out their spec sheet, it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.optrel.com/en/eye_protection ... anoramaxx/

There is also Esabs new helmet, the Sentinel which is more like a jet pilot helmet it looks like but it also does not have the green tint and seems to be pretty cool.

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/in ... Code=12526

These would be my choices, lots of people like Jackson and Speedglass but I don't so I didn't list them, they do exist though.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Olivero
Ace

Postby WildWestWelder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks Ace for doing that legwork, it's appreciated!

The Optrel and the Esab look real nice but I'll bet the replacement plastic, because of it's unique shape, is expensive. I think I'll wait for the Optrel to see its price and the reviews.
WildWestWelder
Workhorse

Postby exnailpounder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:07 pm

I have a Lincoln Viking too and I love it but I hear rumours that there are better hoods. I like mine so much...I couldn't care less about another hood.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:51 pm

I use a miller digital infinity and absolutely love it. Use it somewhat daily and is clear as day. Is would definitely reccomend. If you know any one who owns one of these goods near you ask to try them or see if your local welding supply store has some you could test.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Olivero » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Yeah, its really just your own opinion that matters, the style and features you want, Lincoln's got the 1/1/1/1 rating, Millers is 1/1/1/1 but Optrel 1/1/1/2 and so is Esab from what I remember.

Optrels Panormaxx has got me smitten, looks awesome and has a bunch of interesting new features.

But I also get my hood custom painted so I am a bit odd in some aspects :lol:

Do you have a need to grind or cut metal a lot?
Olivero
Ace

Postby exnailpounder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Olivero wrote:Yeah, its really just your own opinion that matters, the style and features you want, Lincoln's got the 1/1/1/1 rating, Millers is 1/1/1/1 but Optrel 1/1/1/2 and so is Esab from what I remember.

Optrels Panormaxx has got me smitten, looks awesome and has a bunch of interesting new features.

Don't we all need to cut and grind? The grinder can be the shitty welders best friend. Does anybody really wear their flippin hood on grind mode or just take it off and grind in your safety glasses? :lol: I would tell my workers comp doctor I was grinding with a hood but the truth might be a little different 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Olivero » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Nail,

I don't think everyone does, some people get it easy.

I would never grind in grind mode..... That's why I got a hood with a flip up lens for that 180* viewing area through a clear lens.

That's why I am asking.

I cut and grind a whole lot but that's cause I fab, if ya don't fab or do repair's a whole lot and just assemble and weld stuff then you don't really need that feature.
Olivero
Ace

Postby Farmwelding » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:04 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Olivero wrote:Yeah, its really just your own opinion that matters, the style and features you want, Lincoln's got the 1/1/1/1 rating, Millers is 1/1/1/1 but Optrel 1/1/1/2 and so is Esab from what I remember.

Don't we all need to cut and grind? The grinder can be the shitty welders best friend. Does anybody really wear their flippin hood on grind mode or just take it off and grind in your safety glasses? :lol: I would tell my workers comp doctor I was grinding with a hood but the truth might be a little different 8-)

Grind mode! What a joke. It's basically a guarantee of flashing yourself with a shade 3 on. I've only used grind mode 2-3 times and every time I flash myself. Unlike some of us here I have to use a face shield due to the insurance company the school uses doesn't like cutting wheels and grinding wheels in the face.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Lots of construction sites require face shield with a clear shield and glasses or goggles. They will write you up for using grind mode on your hood. 2 write ups and you get unemployed.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk