General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I just have a basic cheap Princess Auto "special" which works ok and it does have the grind mode. Welder and plasma cutter are on the same cart so I use grind mode for the plasma but never for grinding. First I have heard of non tinted lenses which sounds interesting and worth looking into. Contrary to rumour eyesight does not improve with age so at 67 a little boost would be nice. :roll: :ugeek:
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

The titanium series from Miller is cool. Flip up the auto dark and have a grind shield. I'm gonna get the 1600i soon. Passive shade with the grind shield. As for construction sites and helmets with grind modes. I thought they were up to snuff with osha and all the other alphabet organizations?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

One thing that has been unmentioned is to install a cheater lens in your hood, whichever you buy. You can source them in varying degrees of strength, 0.25 all the way up to 3.50. Its like a reading glass lens that covers the lower half of your welding lens, from the inside. I use a 2.00 and it makes a huge difference.

I am also a huge fan of a Miller Digital Infinity helmet. I have the Digital, Digital Elite, and now the Infinity. It's a noticeable difference in the viewing area, the auto-sensing is spot on whether inside or outside. Its lightweight, and the head straps are extremely comfortable. Its a little pricey at $250, but for me its money well spent on comfort, safety and effectiveness.
Farmwelding

cj737 wrote:One thing that has been unmentioned is to install a cheater lens in your hood, whichever you buy. You can source them in varying degrees of strength, 0.25 all the way up to 3.50. Its like a reading glass lens that covers the lower half of your welding lens, from the inside. I use a 2.00 and it makes a huge difference.

I am also a huge fan of a Miller Digital Infinity helmet. I have the Digital, Digital Elite, and now the Infinity. It's a noticeable difference in the viewing area, the auto-sensing is spot on whether inside or outside. Its lightweight, and the head straps are extremely comfortable. Its a little pricey at $250, but for me its money well spent on comfort, safety and effectiveness.
One thing to add. If you are going with a cheater lens, go either the digital elite. It is the same and the infinity but smaller. You don't need extra viewing window if you are only using a cheater lens. The lens limits where the helmet can sit compared to your head so you are stuck looking out of a 2x4 space instead of the whole helmet
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
cj737

Farmwelding wrote: One thing to add. If you are going with a cheater lens, go either the digital elite. It is the same and the infinity but smaller. You don't need extra viewing window if you are only using a cheater lens. The lens limits where the helmet can sit compared to your head so you are stuck looking out of a 2x4 space instead of the whole helmet
This is not accurate. Trust me, I use a cheater and have used the cheater in both helmets. The cheater is for focus during welding, on the puddle. The larger viewing area is not within the focal plane of your eyes, and instead the peripheral vision is in play when looking beyond/outside the cheater. And the cheater lens is not always in use when welding. You can find yourself in a position where the distance is too great to use the cheater, so the larger viewing area is a major benefit for older eyes.

Case in point: Friday I was TIG welding a bush hog idler wheel bracket back together. Why TIG? Because the bracket needed to be welded inside and the gap was only 2.5" wide by about 4" deep and the plates were 5/8" thick. Beveled, and welded back to the existing brackets. I had to weld standing over the joint, looking straight down, TIG torch vertical up, rod from above. No possible way to "see" what I was doing otherwise because of obstructions. I was much farther away than the cheater would focus, so I used the extra area the Infinity provided to give me ample peripheral vision.

One day, Farmer, when you're old like me, you'll see what I'm talking about :D ;)
Farmwelding

Well there you have to I guess. I've always heard that the a large viewing area doesn't do you any good for cheater lenses. I know the most recent thing was Jody on his podcast when he said that no viewing area would help him with a cheater lens. I guess it depends on what kind of work to. Thank you for that bit of info. Happy to be proven wrong
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:Well there you have to I guess. I've always heard that the a large viewing area doesn't do you any good for cheater lenses. I know the most recent thing was Jody on his podcast when he said that no viewing area would help him with a cheater lens. I guess it depends on what kind of work to. Thank you for that bit of info. Happy to be proven wrong
Now go get your shine box :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Farmwelding wrote:The titanium series from Miller is cool. Flip up the auto dark and have a grind shield. I'm gonna get the 1600i soon. Passive shade with the grind shield. As for construction sites and helmets with grind modes. I thought they were up to snuff with osha and all the other alphabet organizations?
For big companies like P&G, DuPont, or ADM. it's not osha you have to listen to. The onsite company safety people are way more strict.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding

Poland308 wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:The titanium series from Miller is cool. Flip up the auto dark and have a grind shield. I'm gonna get the 1600i soon. Passive shade with the grind shield. As for construction sites and helmets with grind modes. I thought they were up to snuff with osha and all the other alphabet organizations?
For big companies like P&G, DuPont, or ADM. it's not osha you have to listen to. The onsite company safety people are way more strict.
Stricter than OSHA?!?!?! That has to suck. I thought Osha was bad
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yup. I worked on an ADM site. First day was the OSHA 10-hour. Second day was site-specific safety training. Much tighter safety rules. They just use OSHA as a guideline.

On the other side of the coin, I worked a small job on an MSHA site (also stricter than OSHA), where they pencil-whipped an MSHA 48(?) for me and put me to work.

Steve
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Ok, I'll bite. What's a cheater lens?

WildWestWelder wrote:Ok, I'll bite. What's a cheater lens?
It's a magnifying lens (two, side-by-side, actually) in a standard 2X4 size like a small-window welding lens. They come in different "diopter" numbers like reading glasses. They mount inside the hood, over your filter lens.

Steve S
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
It's a magnifying lens (two, side-by-side, actually) in a standard 2X4 size like a small-window welding lens. They come in different "diopter" numbers like reading glasses. They mount inside the hood, over your filter lens.

Steve S
My trick is to wear reading glasses that allow me to see good enough when in the shop. Then I also have a cheater lens in the hood that together with the reading glasses makes it so I can see the weld puddle perfect, but still be able to see pretty good without having to put glasses back on when I lift the hood. 8-)
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
My trick is to wear reading glasses that allow me to see good enough when in the shop. Then I also have a cheater lens in the hood that together with the reading glasses makes it so I can see the weld puddle perfect, but still be able to see pretty good without having to put glasses back on when I lift the hood. 8-)
Huh? Do you weld with glasses and a cheater at the same time? I do. I have to have my face stuck in the weld like that but I can see it amazingly well. If I can't get my face in close, I have to take the glasses off. When I mig, I only use the cheater. I wish I could find a good glass cheater instead of the chinese plastic POS's.
cj737

exnailpounder wrote: Huh? Do you weld with glasses and a cheater at the same time? I do. I have to have my face stuck in the weld like that but I can see it amazingly well. If I can't get my face in close, I have to take the glasses off. When I mig, I only use the cheater. I wish I could find a good glass cheater instead of the chinese plastic POS's.
I wear progressive lens glasses and use a cheater. This allows me the greatest flexibility when I can't get in as close as I'd like, or when I need to stand back (think 6010 rod) and still see. I'll stick with the inexpensive plastic cheaters as they are susceptible to damage and wear and are inexpensive enough to replace. My glass lenses are not. I've had them do their job of protecting my eyes from flying objects and get chipped badly enough to require replacement. Cheaper than a visit to the Ophthalmologist surgeon, but the Optician took her pound of flesh.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

two words: Optrel e684. Have you seen how often Jody is using it in his videos lately? All of them. ;)

cj737 wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: Huh? Do you weld with glasses and a cheater at the same time? I do. I have to have my face stuck in the weld like that but I can see it amazingly well. If I can't get my face in close, I have to take the glasses off. When I mig, I only use the cheater. I wish I could find a good glass cheater instead of the chinese plastic POS's.
I wear progressive lens glasses and use a cheater. This allows me the greatest flexibility when I can't get in as close as I'd like, or when I need to stand back (think 6010 rod) and still see. I'll stick with the inexpensive plastic cheaters as they are susceptible to damage and wear and are inexpensive enough to replace. My glass lenses are not. I've had them do their job of protecting my eyes from flying objects and get chipped badly enough to require replacement. Cheaper than a visit to the Ophthalmologist surgeon, but the Optician took her pound of flesh.
I absolutely despise "progressive lenses" for welding. I'm happy you like them, but I cannot deal with changing focus as my view angle changes and cannot, will not recommend them for anyone who doesn't weld on a bench.

Steve S
cj737

Otto Nobedder wrote:
cj737 wrote:
I absolutely despise "progressive lenses" for welding. I'm happy you like them, but I cannot deal with changing focus as my view angle changes and cannot, will not recommend them for anyone who doesn't weld on a bench.

Steve S
It's not by choice, it's by necessity that I wear them. I highly recommend eating more carrots when younger to avoid wearing them later in life.. :D
Farmwelding

Poland308 wrote:
So even like a purloined hood either the flip up or a Miller titanium with a 180 degree grind shield doesn't count?
Nick

cj737 wrote: It's not by choice, it's by necessity that I wear them. I highly recommend eating more carrots when younger to avoid wearing them later in life.. :D
Did you even read my comment before you replied? I understand necessity. Also, the carrot thing is pure bullshit, or I would still be 20/10.

I tried Progressive lenses. Wore them for a year. HATED them. I mean F@#KING HATED them.

I wear only standard bifocals now. I will get trifocals before I'll weld in "progressives" again.

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Nope. Clear full face shield. And it has to clip to your hard hat. So does your hood. And you have to wear gloves and safety glasses at all times. Except past the front gate or inside the job trailer. They once watched about 30 guys leave the training trailer just after they finished there on site training. Walked 5 of them off site before they even got to work at all. 1 for no gloves on. 1 for safety glasses on top of his head and 3 for walking down the front steps without a hand on the hand rail. There were 4 steps top to bottom.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:
cj737 wrote: It's not by choice, it's by necessity that I wear them. I highly recommend eating more carrots when younger to avoid wearing them later in life.. :D
Did you even read my comment before you replied? I understand necessity. Also, the carrot thing is pure bullshit, or I would still be 20/10.

I tried Progressive lenses. Wore them for a year. HATED them. I mean F@#KING HATED them.

I wear only standard bifocals now. I will get trifocals before I'll weld in "progressives" again.

Steve S
I got progressive lenses about 10 years ago. Picked them up at the optometrists office, put them on, walked out the door and fell down the stairs. Hated 'em and never could get used to wearing them.They screwed with my depth perception really bad. Went back to drug store cheaters and threw the prescription glasses in the bin.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I wonder if 'progressive lenses' are what we in the Southern Colonies refer to as 'multi-focals?'

My eyes were damaged as a result of drugs used following surgery on my brain and I've needed glasses ever since I escaped from hospital some years ago. I don't have a problem with normal 'single vision' lenses but the multi-focals are just awful. I hate them. I can't even read with them let alone weld while wearing them.

K
exnailpounder

MosquitoMoto wrote:I wonder if 'progressive lenses' are what we in the Southern Colonies refer to as 'multi-focals?'

My eyes were damaged as a result of drugs used following surgery on my brain and I've needed glasses ever since I escaped from hospital some years ago. I don't have a problem with normal 'single vision' lenses but the multi-focals are just awful. I hate them. I can't even read with them let alone weld while wearing them.

K
Hey Kym! Long time, no see. Up here they also call progressive lenses "no line bifocals" or trifocals. They're horrible. I was convinced by the eye doctor that I needed glasses when all I really needed glasses for is reading, my eyesight is fine otherwise. $2000 later(my insurance paid for it) I couldn't wear them and I tossed 'em. I wear my 2.50 readers and use a 1.75 in my hood and I can see the individual atoms in my weld puddle :lol: Nice to see you around again. Don't be such a stranger 8-)
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Get Lazik surgery done...best 3000 bucks I ever spent...9 years later and I'm still 20/15