General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

As with most of us, my eyes ain't what they used to be. I've been struggling to see what I'm welding for several years now. I've tried a fixed shade gold lens in my old Huntsman, a cheap auto dark (bah!), a Lincoln Viking and a Miller digital elite. None were giving me the results I wanted. I just picked up a speedglas 9002X I believe it is off craigslist. I replaced the clear lenses and gave it a try. When I sparked up my tig, I think I could hear angels singing :lol:
I can see what I'm doing! As always, your mileage may vary. Just my $0.02

Cheers
-EB
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

cj737 wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: Huh? Do you weld with glasses and a cheater at the same time? I do. I have to have my face stuck in the weld like that but I can see it amazingly well. If I can't get my face in close, I have to take the glasses off. When I mig, I only use the cheater. I wish I could find a good glass cheater instead of the chinese plastic POS's.
I wear progressive lens glasses and use a cheater. This allows me the greatest flexibility when I can't get in as close as I'd like, or when I need to stand back (think 6010 rod) and still see. I'll stick with the inexpensive plastic cheaters as they are susceptible to damage and wear and are inexpensive enough to replace. My glass lenses are not. I've had them do their job of protecting my eyes from flying objects and get chipped badly enough to require replacement. Cheaper than a visit to the Ophthalmologist surgeon, but the Optician took her pound of flesh.
I guess I missed this and many other posts as I have been behind on everything here lately due to contractors...
Yes, I wear reading glasses and use a cheater at the same time. I too wish I could find glass cheaters. I have a Miller Digital Elite and thought I found some glass cheaters but they don't fit. I may try to modify them and try them some other time but didn't want to tear up the helmet trying. Anchor brand makes the glass ones and they can be found on ebay.

edit: Maybe I replied to the wrong post too. :lol: (where's my damned glasses!)

electrode wrote: I too wish I could find glass cheaters. I have a Miller Digital Elite and thought I found some glass cheaters but they don't fit.
I thought these mag lens were standard, certainly the Miller hoods accept them?

I know Harris makes them.
Glass lens.jpg
Glass lens.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
Richard
Website
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Those may work. Didn't see them yet so I may have to give them a try. Glass is the best. :D
Thanks.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I just got a new ESAB Sentinel A50. I like it even better than my speedglas and it looks really cool too. Cheers.
PS..also it has a 1.5x cheater lens in it
Last edited by xwrench on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Don’t forget to try a cheater lens to help with your eyesight. I have few Millers, and use the grind mode regularly. No issue. Must be the user.
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I just wrote a long rant about how much I hate my Digital Infinity and how my variable shade Classic Series is better in 99% of situations. I guess the internet ate it. Long story short I want to sell a Digital Infinity. Make offer.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Turbo wrote:I just wrote a long rant about how much I hate my Digital Infinity and how my variable shade Classic Series is better in 99% of situations. I guess the internet ate it. Long story short I want to sell a Digital Infinity. Make offer.
I'd appreciate if you could elaborate on what you don't like about the Digital Infinity. I struggled between Lincoln and Miller, and the Lincoln 3350 seems to always get glowing reviews. However, when I tried it on at my LWS it didn't feel as good as the Miller helmets on my head. The Lincoln also seemed a bit heavy. The Miller Digital Infinity also didn't feel as nice as the Digital Elite, so that is what I got.

I don't know if light is good, but lighter seems to feel better to me. I just used it for the second time yesterday and compared to the non-auto-darkening helmet I had been using, it is like night and day, with day being the Miller Digital Elite.

So far I'm happy, but I couldn't really tell if the lens between the Elite and Infinity are the same or different, other than the Infinity has a slightly larger viewing area. I was more worried about the actual lens itself. They both seems to be "ClearLight", FWIW.

Alan
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

No reason to have a big lens, It's just heavier. I consider the infinity to be ridiculously heavy compared to the classic series. The infinity doesn't balance in the up position on its own so they put in a stiff detent to hold it up. The detent always lets go at the worst time and smashes into the delicately balanced setup you were just about to tack. If you have to weld with your head cocked to the side ie stooping down and welding under something or any position other than seated at a table the helmet will rotate around and often fall off. I plan on replacing the infinity with an optrel. Made in China vs made in Switzerland, need I say more.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
loudandgreen
    Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm thinking some type of tinted face shield with a auto darkening lens installed in it by myself... if nothing like that exists. I want ventilation and a big view. I just don't have the ching for a hood with a fan right now... maybe in a few months or early next year. I can be pretty crafty but ... I don't wanna get all redneck making something if I don't have to. Anything new I haven't seen yet that fits my situation?