General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
jcvweld
    Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:36 pm

I am looking if anyone has built a welding camera, to video welders while welding.
I built a camera case with a shade 10 lens on a 3D printer a couple years ago, And it is ok but I would like to have one to video students welding to help correct mistakes. The quality is not their and wondering if anyone has built their own.
Jay
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't know your use or price range but our local tech school uses a "visible welding" camera. Freaking clearest picture I have ever seen. It is about 8 ft in the air and we can read the numbers on tig filler rod. It is fantastic.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:I don't know your use or price range but our local tech school uses a "visible welding" camera. Freaking clearest picture I have ever seen. It is about 8 ft in the air and we can read the numbers on tig filler rod. It is fantastic.
I'm sure these are very expensive, would like to know Jody's setup but that won't happen. If you already have a video camera (not a cell phone) I'd try mounting a weld filter, use a tripod and see how it looks. Remember some post processing will also be required to get the best "look" possible from whatever camera you use. Or if you have a DSLR that has video capability you can try that, which could be better as you'd have different lens available to try.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jay,

Jody doesn't have trade secrets for his video technique. He once replied to me on how he shot video, but that was in his early days. I'm sure his techniques and equipment have improved. I'll shoot him a message and bring this topic to his attention. He may be able to advise you on ways to do what you're seeking at a few different price points.

Steve S
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Please let us know what you find out Steve, I would like to video myself welding just to see what I'm doing right or wrong, lol

Pete
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
RIDETOEAT
    Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 pm

I am a hobby welder and have never been a very proficient good welder but can do structural mig like most can and love to run my tig welder but have never been good enough to call my welds pretty and good at the same time. I too would like to video my welding technique in tig mode and then review it, I bet it would be eye opening as I have watched hours of Jody welding and it is like I know what it should look like when done right but do not weld enough to develop the proper positioning and muscle memory. I think it could be helpful for me to improve, I think I will try to set up my gopro inside my old auto darkening helmet and see what I get.
Still running the old Dynasty 300 DX and Millermatic 251 as primary machines.