General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
WildWestWelder wrote:
LtBadd wrote:.....I want that vise! :lol:
When I got the vise it was in pretty rugged shape. It was an outdoor vise down by the pacific. I had it sandblasted and painted then refit it with parts I modified. It was a fun job. I'm working on a Justrite flammables liquid cabinet that is in the same shape as the original vise. :) The table, like the vise and the cabinet was a hobby project. I have a complete machine shop where my son and I work to earn a living but it is also my "man cave". :) I have all my tools, guitars, sound system and more down there. I CNC machine a custom part or pick a Merle Haggard tune.:)
My shop is my man-cave too. I can weld, machine. play guitar, boil out a gallon of shine, smoke a...cigar...listen to the stereo on my Harley......Damn...I hope Heaven is that good 8-)
I hope you don't do all of those at the same time. Machcing while drunk may not be a good idea. Nor would welding drunk-it would be funny though :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I've never welded when I was drinking....might have to try that. I know I become bullet proof when drinking so I bet I would be a better welder too :lol: Ya damned farmer...look at the shit you just started :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:I've never welded when I was drinking....might have to try that. I know I become bullet proof when drinking so I bet I would be a better welder too :lol: Ya damned farmer...look at the shit you just started :lol:
Yeah and I am a teenager and I know everything. And hey... Without farmers you wouldn't have our alcoholic beverages so watch it :lol:

My apologies. Did I mention it's a nice table but not enough clamps :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've welded while very drunk. I've also welded while on LSD.

It takes a different level of concentration, but it's quite possible and not that difficult.

I've passed field sobriety with a BAC above .20%

Steve
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:I've welded while very drunk. I've also welded while on LSD.

It takes a different level of concentration, but it's quite possible and not that difficult.

Steve
Do I want to ask why-no should I-no am I-no. Hope you don't do it any more though. That's risky for the ones around you

And holy crap! .20% geez-how could you walk?
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I've welded while very drunk. I've also welded while on LSD.

Steve
Do I want to ask why-no should I-no am I-no. Hope you don't do it any more though. That's risky for the ones around you

And holy crap! .20% geez-how could you walk?
Lots of training and experience :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Farmwelding wrote: And holy crap! .20% geez-how could you walk?
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand anyway. We can explain it to you, but can't understand it for you :D
Farmwelding

cj737 wrote:
Farmwelding wrote: And holy crap! .20% geez-how could you walk?
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand anyway. We can explain it to you, but can't understand it for you :D
Fair enough. I'll just stay away from the stuff. I get addicted to stuff to easily. :lol:
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Steve
I've often thought that would be a good time, but haven't touched any psychedelics in a long time.

I'd probably daze out and end up on my own little space odyssey behind the hood.
Farmwelding

PeteM wrote:

Steve
I've often thought that would be a good time, but haven't touched any psychedelics in a long time.

I'd probably daze out and end up on my own little space odyssey behind the hood.
Jeez... Am I the only sober one around here. For all y'alls sake-don't weld under the influence. :lol:
Nick

The LSD was MANY years ago. I think the aftereffects might kill me today.

Interestingly, things you practice while drinking, you get better at doing while drinking. If there's some hobby, like disc golf for example, that you ONLY do while drinking, you'll usually perform worse if you try it sober. That's from a study, not an anecdote.

While I've passed a filed sobriety test or two when actually drinking and driving (again, a long time ago), the .20 was one of those MADD campaigns in college, where the Highway Patrol lets you walk up as drunk as you want to be, take the field sobriety test, and then guesses your BAC. Then you take the breathalyzer, and see how good the cops are at detecting drunkenness. They guessed me at .04, didn't believe the breathalyzer, and asked me to take it again. The eye-nastigmus test is the hardest to fool in a field test (if you have good balance). That's the "follow the pen with your eyes" thingie. The trick is to not focus on the pen at all, but look far past it. Then, scan the background in time to the motion of the pen.

I probably shouldn't be giving these tips out.... When I would drink and drive, I was in a tiny town and by the time I'd drive, they'd rolled the sidewalks up and put them away for the night. There was nobody else on the road but a few other drunk people.

Steve
PeteM

Farmwelding wrote:
PeteM wrote:

Steve

Jeez... Am I the only sober one around here. For all y'alls sake-don't weld under the influence. :lol:
Hahaha. No you aren't. I haven't had a drink in 14 years. Prior to that though... :twisted: I'm just one of those people that shouldn't.

Otto, I hear you on that practice thing. Couldn't hit the dart board without a beer in my hand, but could close out a game of 301 in 2 rounds after a couple of cold ones.

PeteM wrote:...I haven't had a drink in 14 years...
Congratulations! I know what a struggle that can be. I was completely out of control until I acknowledged that I'm an alcoholic. I haven't stopped because of it (actually, I did for six month, to prove to myself it was possible), but the realization and the understanding that came with it has given me the tools to manage it (as I suppose one manages any chronic ailment). I can hold a job, drive sober, shop sensibly, and enjoy activities outside of work, where at one time drinking was the only activity outside of work. I also find I drink a bit less as I get older. It takes less, for one, and I pay more for it later if I overdo it. Call it "Aversion Therapy".... :lol:

Steve
PeteM

Otto Nobedder wrote:
PeteM wrote:...I haven't had a drink in 14 years...
Congratulations! I know what a struggle that can be. I was completely out of control until I acknowledged that I'm an alcoholic. I haven't stopped because of it (actually, I did for six month, to prove to myself it was possible), but the realization and the understanding that came with it has given me the tools to manage it (as I suppose one manages any chronic ailment). I can hold a job, drive sober, shop sensibly, and enjoy activities outside of work, where at one time drinking was the only activity outside of work. I also find I drink a bit less as I get older. It takes less, for one, and I pay more for it later if I overdo it. Call it "Aversion Therapy".... :lol:

Steve
Thank you!

You're how my brother is. We were shoulder to shoulder for a long time. Then he just stopped. Has a few here and there, ties one on from time to time, but has a good time with it.

I've always been a little envious of that.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Awesome looking table ;)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

pgk wrote:Awesome looking table ;)
Yeah, I deflowered it today. Had two or three wire overruns onto the table, I had to grind them off, but I knew this was going to happen anyway. :)

WildWestWelder wrote:
pgk wrote:Awesome looking table ;)
Yeah, I deflowered it today. Had two or three wire overruns onto the table, I had to grind them off, but I knew this was going to happen anyway. :)
Best to get it over with sooner rather then later...
Richard
Website