It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:48 am Advanced search

Life is good: tools

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Re: Life is good: tools

Postby Otto Nobedder » Wed May 03, 2017 11:41 pm

I work primarily with 480V. I've never had a false negative. That said, a "positive" is assumed to be correct, and a "negative" gets a meter check.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Coldman » Wed May 03, 2017 11:43 pm

I trust my meters too but the Fluke volt stick has been reliable for me, not so much other brands, goes for meters as well. I only keep Fluke instruments. The stick is handy for fault finding solenoid valves etc and also when the grinder suddenly stops working its a quick diagnosis whether its the grinder died or some bolt-neck that stole the power point!

Also I shouldn't really be walking around with the folder in my pocket cause I can easy end up in a place where you don't want to drop the soap... (you know cause I might be an axe wielding crazy or something)
But its so handy I persist. I once forgot to take it out of my pocket when I checked into a flight. Set the walk thru buzzer off, I had a handkerchief in the same pocket so I took it out wrapped in the snot rag and held both hands high while they rubbed me over with the hand held scanners and sent me through. Don't think I'd get lucky twice so I'm more careful these days.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Wed May 03, 2017 11:47 pm

LOL! I can just imagine the TSA trying to decide the threat level of a folding mirror!

Remember, they have a spotless record, catching exactly ZERO terrorists.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Coldman » Wed May 03, 2017 11:59 pm

I recon if they found the folder they would've tazed me, dragged me into a back room and proceeded to beat the snot out me with a rubber hose.
Whilst I'm the first to admit a good beating every now and then helped to keep me on the straight and narrow (thanks dad), I really didn't want to miss the flight.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman
Weldmonger

Postby Popeye the old miner » Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 am

What I absolutely positively must have is my Stanley thermos full of coffee
Popeye the old miner

Postby Farmwelding » Thu May 04, 2017 7:03 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:LOL! I can just imagine the TSA trying to decide the threat level of a folding mirror!

Remember, they have a spotless record, catching exactly ZERO terrorists.

Steve

Yep, they do a great job- my dad came from Puerto Rico I believe and landed in Florida and changed planes and then came back to Chicago all the while having a stainless steel spoon he forgot about in his back pocket. Security twice and no one found it
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Artie F. Emm » Thu May 04, 2017 10:27 am

They always manage to find the razor blade I keep in my wallet. These days I just hand it to them before the search starts (if I forget to remove it on the way to the airport).
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:They always manage to find the razor blade I keep in my wallet. These days I just hand it to them before the search starts (if I forget to remove it on the way to the airport).

Yeah anywhere I go with metal detectors or big security I have to remember to take out my credit card knife in my wallet. I hope i don't forget sometime
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu May 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Since we've jacked this thread, here's a serious question.

Do ceramic knives have metal imbedded in them to trip a metal detector? Even the Chinese ones at Harbor Freight? Is it a metallic ceramic that will be detected, or could we walk right through?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu May 04, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm also pretty sure I could make a very deadly knife out of obsidian or flint that no metal detector would alert to...

I hope we don't have terrorists reading this thread... :shock:

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk