General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Ryan wrote:Jmedic25,

Thanks for your review on the Everlast 230i. I nearly bought one right when they came out I don't doubt the quality, capability, or craftsmanship of Everlast welders. My concern is when/if it does go down my business will be without a tool that I rely on to make a living. Sure it may be covered under warranty but 3 to 6 months wait is just flat out not going to work for me. I would end up buying another welder. So I decided to give Everlast a pass this time around. They just simply cannot compete with local warranty service.
This is a good point. If you are relying on a machine for business, you'd be crazy to invest in one that doesn't come with a guarantee of an overnight fix for any problem you might have. No matter how good Everlast or any brand might be, if you have a glitch and can't get it sorted very quickly for whatever reason, other people's positive experiences with the brand will be cold comfort as you watch your earning power evaporate.

I am in Australia and bought a machine closely modelled on Everlast - I think it might just be a re-brand. I bought it for its features, sure, but also on the strength that locally, the seller has a spotless reputation for fixing problems instantly, even if that means shipping a new machine to you overnight while the problem with your own machine is solved. A minor problem with my machine thus far has been a chance for the seller to demonstrate this rock solid reputation beautifully. Called the guy on New Year's Day while he was on holidays...he answered instantly and stayed with me until we sorted the hiccup, same day.

Any welder is only as good as the people, the plan and the reputation that stand behind it.

Moz
Ryan
  • Ryan
    Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 am

MosquitoMoto wrote:
Ryan wrote:Jmedic25,

Thanks for your review on the Everlast 230i. I nearly bought one right when they came out I don't doubt the quality, capability, or craftsmanship of Everlast welders. My concern is when/if it does go down my business will be without a tool that I rely on to make a living. Sure it may be covered under warranty but 3 to 6 months wait is just flat out not going to work for me. I would end up buying another welder. So I decided to give Everlast a pass this time around. They just simply cannot compete with local warranty service.
This is a good point. If you are relying on a machine for business, you'd be crazy to invest in one that doesn't come with a guarantee of an overnight fix for any problem you might have. No matter how good Everlast or any brand might be, if you have a glitch and can't get it sorted very quickly for whatever reason, other people's positive experiences with the brand will be cold comfort as you watch your earning power evaporate.

I am in Australia and bought a machine closely modelled on Everlast - I think it might just be a re-brand. I bought it for its features, sure, but also on the strength that locally, the seller has a spotless reputation for fixing problems instantly, even if that means shipping a new machine to you overnight while the problem with your own machine is solved. A minor problem with my machine thus far has been a chance for the seller to demonstrate this rock solid reputation beautifully. Called the guy on New Year's Day while he was on holidays...he answered instantly and stayed with me until we sorted the hiccup, same day.

Any welder is only as good as the people, the plan and the reputation that stand behind it.

Moz
Very well said! Now if Everlast had a reputation of sending a "loaner" while mine was being repaired I would give green stronger consideration. Sounds like you did business with a REAL professional who understands how the industry SHOULD work.
Semper Fidelis Ooh Rah!
Ryan
  • Ryan

Well, I went to my LWS and ordered the Esab Rebel emp 235ic. I also ordered a Hypertherm Powermax 85 and he gave me a hell of a deal on the machine and hand torch bundle. Since I was already buying the plasma I lucked out. It was more like getting money off the welder. Thanks for all the input. I will do my best to review the machine for everyone. Though I've never really done a product review. I would be happy to demonstrate anything or answer any questions that I can about the rebel.
Semper Fidelis Ooh Rah!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Ryan wrote:Well, I went to my LWS and ordered the Esab Rebel emp 235ic. I also ordered a Hypertherm Powermax 85 and he gave me a hell of a deal on the machine and hand torch bundle. Since I was already buying the plasma I lucked out. It was more like getting money off the welder. Thanks for all the input. I will do my best to review the machine for everyone. Though I've never really done a product review. I would be happy to demonstrate anything or answer any questions that I can about the rebel.
OOOOOHHHH... I want one of those powermax 85s. I've used them and they cut like hot knife through warm butter. I cut 3/8" plate a lot for practice pieces and it takes like 5 seconds to get across 7" not at full amperage. As for that rebel, I've heard a lot of good things, but would like to try one someday. I look forward to your review now.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Ryan
  • Ryan

I'm excited about the plasma. I've only watched an instructor demonstrate one and on TV and vids of course. For whatever reason that instructor wouldn't let "the Marine" try it out. :twisted:

What sucks is my shop isn't even wired in yet so I'll be stuck staring at it for a few weeks lol. It just worked out they gave me a break if I got em both together. I'm gonna be running around giggling like a giddy little school girl with that baby. It will be a "sight" as they say around here.

As soon as I get the rebel it's going right to work. I needed it like last week! I will certainly be putting it to the test. I have some through floor subframe connectors to fab into a fox body mustang at a friends garage. This type of work is why I chose the dual voltage rebel over the fabricator 252. Hopefully the lcd screen and new fandangled bells and whistles hold up. I wonder if they anticipated selling a machine with 100% satisfaction guarantee to a Grunt. I may change their world :lol:

If anyone is in the London, Ky area I would be happy to demo it when I get my building finished. I may not be the best reviewer as my welding aptitude is nothing to write home about. And I've never tig welded.
Semper Fidelis Ooh Rah!

Ryan wrote: This type of work is why I chose the dual voltage rebel over the fabricator 252.
Ryan
I know how you feel, getting a new machine...as a side note my employer bought a Lincoln Power MIG 180 dual voltage unit to weld some bolts to a frame, which it worked quite well. I used the gasless flux core wire.

Recently had another project fabing a steel lifting fixture so I though I'd use the MIG, only to find out it pulls 20amps and our 115 outlets are on 20amp breakers, so I could only get ~6 inches before they'd trip. Finished this project using TIG.
Richard
Website
sberry
    Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 am

I have a 250 wirematic and I can see how it never developed much of a fan club, yes, it is a sputtering temperamental pos really. I was never happy with it.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For what its worth, I would not spend your budget on a used machine, especially if it is a transformer based machine. The power requirements alone are significant. Plus, these transformer units are not portable at all. The smaller multi-process boxes are and that is not something to overlook.

You can easily find yourself requested "at a site" to repair something, or someone brings you something that won't fit in the shop. How will you manage to weld it outdoors or on the road with a 150#-300# transformer box?

A good, small multi-process machine would be my first choice. These won't do AC TIG, but, they will support Aluminum MIG with a Spool Gun (which is a very nice alternative, especially on thin aluminum). Until you need it, AC TIG is overkill and a budget issue; hard to get AC TIG and DC MIG boxes in the same footprint for your budget. If you get going, a dedicated AC TIG box is my strongest recommendation. A SquareWave 200 is very decent box, or an Everlast, or Alpha... But having a 2nd machine then will be more cost-effective and supported by your business than having it now and not needing it.

Stick and MIG (and Spool Gun) are probably the most widely used processes for a "Gravel Welder" in a small town. Be proud of it, and good at it!