It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 am Advanced search

Bar Keepers Friend

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Bar Keepers Friend

Postby LtBadd » Fri May 05, 2017 8:13 pm

I know Jeff and maybe a few others have used this, looking for feedback and suggestions for this and other products that clean and remove slight heat tint on stainless

LINK to product
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
User avatar
LtBadd
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: Clearwater FL

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby exnailpounder » Fri May 05, 2017 9:30 pm

LtBadd wrote:I know Jeff and maybe a few others have used this, looking for feedback and suggestions for this and other products that clean and remove slight heat tint on stainless

LINK to product

I use it all the time. Are you looking to get rid of colors on the bead itself or the color bands in the HAZ? It will do both. I usually just scrub the color out with a greenie pad if it's just a keg or something that I don't have to be careful of the finish. If you're worried about the finish, make a paste from the powder and wipe it on and let it sit for awhile.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby Olivero » Sat May 06, 2017 5:26 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a minute.

IS there some way to make heat tint dissapear off stainless with barkeepers friend?
if there's a welder, there's a way
User avatar
Olivero
Ace
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm
Location: Clearwater Florida

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby exnailpounder » Sat May 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Olivero wrote:WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a minute.

IS there some way to make heat tint dissapear off stainless with barkeepers friend?

Yup!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby LtBadd » Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 am

Bought this at Lowes yesterday, can't beat the price $2

Anyone ever use the Dynaflux 781?
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
User avatar
LtBadd
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: Clearwater FL

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby Olivero » Sun May 07, 2017 9:33 am

exnailpounder wrote:
Olivero wrote:WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a minute.

IS there some way to make heat tint dissapear off stainless with barkeepers friend?

Yup!


Well for feck sake tell me how?!

Barkeepers friend is kept in the shop for cleaning purposes, like actual cleaning purposes, I had no idea I could use it for something useful.
if there's a welder, there's a way
User avatar
Olivero
Ace
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm
Location: Clearwater Florida

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby exnailpounder » Sun May 07, 2017 9:39 am

LtBadd wrote:Bought this at Lowes yesterday, can't beat the price $2

Anyone ever use the Dynaflux 781?

You got that at Lowes? Give us the skinny on it. I have been happy with BKF but if this works good I might give it a try. Wood bleach(oxalic acid) is the concentrated form of BKF and is pretty amazing too but you need to wear chemical resistant gloves to use it....very strong.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby exnailpounder » Sun May 07, 2017 9:41 am

Olivero wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
Olivero wrote:WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT a minute.

IS there some way to make heat tint dissapear off stainless with barkeepers friend?

Yup!


Well for feck sake tell me how?!

Barkeepers friend is kept in the shop for cleaning purposes, like actual cleaning purposes, I had no idea I could use it for something useful.

I just wet a greenie pad and sprinkle the powder on it and work it into the pad and then just scrub the welds and leave it sit for a few minutes and then rinse or wipe it off. Makes stainless welds look like they grew there. It's freaking awesome on copper too. I use it to clean old copper pipes when I am sweating new pipes to old.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby Olivero » Sun May 07, 2017 9:55 am

exnailpounder wrote:I just wet a greenie pad and sprinkle the powder on it and work it into the pad and then just scrub the welds and leave it sit for a few minutes and then rinse or wipe it off. Makes stainless welds look like they grew there. It's freaking awesome on copper too. I use it to clean old copper pipes when I am sweating new pipes to old.


Damn, I had no idea. Does the green scrubbie not scratch the stainless?
if there's a welder, there's a way
User avatar
Olivero
Ace
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm
Location: Clearwater Florida

Re: Bar Keepers Friend

Postby exnailpounder » Sun May 07, 2017 10:00 am

Olivero wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:I just wet a greenie pad and sprinkle the powder on it and work it into the pad and then just scrub the welds and leave it sit for a few minutes and then rinse or wipe it off. Makes stainless welds look like they grew there. It's freaking awesome on copper too. I use it to clean old copper pipes when I am sweating new pipes to old.


Damn, I had no idea. Does the green scrubbie not scratch the stainless?

It will. If you need to preserve the finish, just make a paste out of the powder and wipe it on with you finger and let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off with a damp rag or paper towel. You'll kinda figure out the best way to do it. The nice thing is it doesn't do anything to the surrounding metal so it will all look the same. I would try a test piece first though. I use it mostly on kegs for repassivation so finish doesn't concern me.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Next

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk