General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Help! I'm a noob, and totally new to auto darkening hoods...and I'm a little afraid I've just burned my eyes.

Was in the garage working on a little project this morning. Like a complete dumb@$$, I was using grind mode on my hood, then forgot to switch back to weld mode before sparking and arc. Total exposure to my eyes was probably less than 2 seconds. Am I gonna be in pain in a little while?

Red
God Bless Our Troops and Their Families! To all Veterans and Active Duty Military Men and Women...Thank You For Your Service!

Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

You will most likely be ok.
Some people are more sensitive than others but the lens filters most of the UV even in grind mode.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I have had lots of flashes and never hurt a thing. Some people are more sensitive and get a reaction for a bit. A fellow I went to shop class with many years ago was down for a bit with I think tea bags on his eyes and recovered fine. He's been driving truck for close to 50 yrs with no problems. Don't rush out and buy a white cane just yet!! :lol: :geek:

That is a relief to hear...I've never experienced arc eye, and am not looking forward to it if I've burned them.

Red
God Bless Our Troops and Their Families! To all Veterans and Active Duty Military Men and Women...Thank You For Your Service!

Hobart Handler 210 MVP

One more question...

Is this a "the damage is already done" type situation, or, if someone thinks they may have flash-burned their eyes, is there something they should do to ease the damage/pain?

Red

Hobart Handler 210 MVP
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Its like sun burn, where the damage is done then the pain sets in later. Similar to sun burn, the damage is based on intensity and duration. A couple seconds through the hood at relatively low settings shouldn't have done much.

The old school treatment is to cut a potato in half and put the flat side on your closed eyes.(most people also like a cold beer or other mixed beverage to help pass the time and whatnot)

A lot MDs will prescribe some type of prescription pain killer.

Ok, now don't everybody go running to the garage all at once... :lol: (that actually happened at a place I worked. Like an epidemic of flash burn)
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I've done that too many times to count and usually I ended up doing it at 180 amps on tig or stick and it is bright as hell. I usually just sit and flicker my eyelids for a few seconds and then I'm back to normal. At least it wasn't clear and was shade 3
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I am pretty sure you are just fine, I have done that many times and I still see just fine, at least I think i do :lol:

From what I understand, the UV is blocked regardless of the shade its just a matter of how bright it is at that point, not necessarily frying your cornea out but you may experience the same problem as staring into a light bulb really close.
if there's a welder, there's a way
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Well, by now you obviously know that you did not do any damage. As noted above the part of the light from the arc that causes the most immediate damage (and the "sand in your eyes" burn) is the ultraviolet light. This is nearly completely blocked by the glass of your welding lens, whether it turns dark or not. It is a property of the glass. This is why you can't get a suntan through a window.

There is IR and just the brightness of the arc that can cause damage as well, but not in a few seconds. I'd bet the pretty much everyone on this forum has seen a few seconds of arc with nothing protecting their eyes for a few seconds at some time or other. Don't lose any sleep over it...

Thanks for all the experienced perspective guys! Yeah, I'm no worse for wear...no more than a little mild irritation this afternoon. It only alarmed me because I just didnt know enough about how an auto dark hood works. I appreciate y'all reassuring me!

Red

Hobart Handler 210 MVP

SeenRed wrote:Thanks for all the experienced perspective guys! Yeah, I'm no worse for wear...no more than a little mild irritation this afternoon. It only alarmed me because I just didnt know enough about how an auto dark hood works. I appreciate y'all reassuring me!

Red
No worries, we've all been there. In any case, getting that welders burn in your eyes will pass after a day, even if its bad, its not like you get arc flashed for 30 seconds and your blind forever.

I had a buddy who was taking pictures of me building something, he didn't wear a hood or glasses but figured if he looked away from the arc most of the time and only for short periods to adjust the camera and angle, etc. he would be fine.

He wasn't, woke up in the middle of the night and he couldn't open his eyes, when he did they were irritaed as all hell so he couldn't really see that well, they hurt but an hour or so later, it subsided and he went back to sleep, woke up and it was better but not completely gone, the following day it was all gone.

scary experience I am sure, now I don't let anyone into my shop when I am working unless they wear a helmet if they want to watch or work around me or I just stop welding all together until they leave.
    Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

I have come to believe my legs get mad at me for standing to long because when I am standing tig welding just getting everything right where I want them my right leg will push down on that damn peddle and blam I get a nice arc flash from about 8 inches away. :shock:
My Grandfather Used to say "Grinding a weld to make it pretty doesn't make you a Welder. It makes you a Grinder!"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

DrDogwood wrote:I have come to believe my legs get mad at me for standing to long because when I am standing tig welding just getting everything right where I want them my right leg will push down on that damn peddle and blam I get a nice arc flash from about 8 inches away. :shock:
I did some welds today that required my fingertip control. Twice, as I was positioning my hands in the maze of pipe, I bumped the switch and temporarily blinded myself. It happens to all of us. Rarely at a moment that would be convenient, as I had to extract myself from the piping and have a sip of coffee as my eyes re-adjusted, then dive in again.

Steve

Otto Nobedder wrote:
DrDogwood wrote:I have come to believe my legs get mad at me for standing to long because when I am standing tig welding just getting everything right where I want them my right leg will push down on that damn peddle and blam I get a nice arc flash from about 8 inches away. :shock:
I did some welds today that required my fingertip control. Twice, as I was positioning my hands in the maze of pipe, I bumped the switch and temporarily blinded myself. It happens to all of us. Rarely at a moment that would be convenient, as I had to extract myself from the piping and have a sip of coffee as my eyes re-adjusted, then dive in again.

Steve
What do you do for a living? I swear it sounds like something out of a F'ing movie.

Helium vacuum's and all that fancy stuff, what's it all about?

Sounds like a boatload of fun.

Olivero wrote:
What do you do for a living? I swear it sounds like something out of a F'ing movie.

I have to admit, most days I enjoy my job immensely. Over eight years, I've steered it into the job I've always wanted. I walked in to it with every skill that any position in the shop required (save one), accumulated over years of learning everything a job could teach me and moving on. I learned that last required skill before my "probationary" period was up. That's the helium leak detection, and my ability at it gets me paid quite handsomely for a shop monkey.

I work on the tanker trailers that deliver liquid hydrogen, oxygen, argon, and nitrogen to industry, aerospace, medical, etc. I always get the most challenging problems, partly because I'm good at solving them, and partly because that's the kind of problem I'm enthusiastic about tackling, so I'm fast at it.

I'm, at present, jumping through hoops to get our shop qualified for our ASME "R" stamp, to do pressure vessel and pressure pipe repairs. This is a major pain in the ass, as, to date, I'm the only welder in the shop that can pass the ASME welder qualification. I spent six hours today cutting, prepping, and welding two coupons to be bend-tested for PQR's to support our WPS's, and I will spend most of tomorrow and some of Friday welding a "sample" pressure vessel. The results of my work will determine the whole shop's immediate future. No pressure....

Steve
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Olivero wrote:

I have to admit, most days I enjoy my job immensely. Over eight years, I've steered it into the job I've always wanted. I walked in to it with every skill that any position in the shop required (save one), accumulated over years of learning everything a job could teach me and moving on. I learned that last required skill before my "probationary" period was up. That's the helium leak detection, and my ability at it gets me paid quite handsomely for a shop monkey.

I work on the tanker trailers that deliver liquid hydrogen, oxygen, argon, and nitrogen to industry, aerospace, medical, etc. I always get the most challenging problems, partly because I'm good at solving them, and partly because that's the kind of problem I'm enthusiastic about tackling, so I'm fast at it.

I'm, at present, jumping through hoops to get our shop qualified for our ASME "R" stamp, to do pressure vessel and pressure pipe repairs. This is a major pain in the ass, as, to date, I'm the only welder in the shop that can pass the ASME welder qualification. I spent six hours today cutting, prepping, and welding two coupons to be bend-tested for PQR's to support our WPS's, and I will spend most of tomorrow and some of Friday welding a "sample" pressure vessel. The results of my work will determine the whole shop's immediate future. No pressure....

Steve
Time for a drinky-poo Stevo :lol: I thought you have rocket surgeon working with you...he has to have one Hell of a pedigree. Things could be worse. The shop whose overload I took on went under...that's gonna leave a mark...Nothing better than having a job that you love....cause I know what's in store for me and it doesn't bode well and I'm having a drink myself. Time to put the tool belt on again me thinks.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

I'm enjoying a cold barley-pop as I type this.

Rocketsurgeon's experience with NASA is mostly in friction-stir welding. He's as green as the next guy in the processes we use, though he has some solid education behind him.

It'd suck to pick up a claw hammer, when you're used to a 3# cross-peen f#@&ing beater.

Steve
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:I'm enjoying a cold barley-pop as I type this.

Rocketsurgeon's experience with NASA is mostly in friction-stir welding. He's as green as the next guy in the processes we use, though he has some solid education behind him.

It'd suck to pick up a claw hammer, when you're used to a 3# cross-peen f#@&ing beater.

Steve
I hear ya. I'm just glad I have another trade to fall back on. Life sure has it's twists and turns.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Olivero wrote:

Steve
Sounds fecking awesome if you ask me.

Good luck on the coupon pressure vessel, that sounds awesome.

I would love to do stuff like that, a real troubleshooting "no one is here to answer it for you" type job AND you get to fix it, your way. Sounds great.