General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JKR
  • JKR
    Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks for the spec sheet. It mentions flux for brazing brass, but does that matter for TIG. I'd assume not with the argon purging.

Tom, I need something that will cap and build up. Silver solder won't do this.
JKR
  • JKR

I finally got my hands on the Blockade. Wasn't expecting a grey colored rod, although the original braze had grey filler metal so may be something similar to the original.

What amperage range would you suggest? I had no foot pedal so I tried 120 on the first fat blob, then 70amps for second attempt. 70 seemed fine. I just moved to quickly because I thought it was going to overheat again. I'm happy to see less overall heat inputed. I think this should work out fine.

Any final suggestions or considerations before I attempt the repair on the next work day?

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You should be able to find a happy medium as you work on the peace and it starts to heat up you may be able to progressively back down your amps.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
JKR
  • JKR

So I got it all welded up. Before someone points it out, I am not proud of the welds. I was running really low on giveafuckitude. I don't know why, but I just wanted it out of my way. BUT it holds pressure! All hail the immortal booger-welds.

Thanks a ton for the input and hand holding. I can't wait to have good espresso!

bb code img

share pics online
Harmonic
    Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:40 pm

I know this thread is 6 years old, but I have a very similar espresso boiler with the same internal failure. Before I go about trying the same repair that you did, I was wondering if there is anything that you would do differently, either in cutting out the old tube, or in doing the repair braze/weld? For me, this will probably be the only time I do this sort of job, so any advice or tips on getting good results is appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by Harmonic on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I can’t speak for the original poster, but any time your dealing with thin metal. That has been exposed to boiling water, then your biggest enemy will be the mineral deposits. Often there on the back side where it’s nearly impossible to clean off.
I have more questions than answers

Josh