General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Got an emergency job this afternoon...an exhaust manifold off a boat with a cracked water jacket that needs to be welded. I don't have any dye penetrant to find the ends of the cracks so I can drill them out. Any suggestions? I plan on doing a pictorial on this repair to upload but I really need some advice on the dye. This is a rare part so I can't mess this up...HELP..Also I have N82, Inconel 625, ALBr, and SilBr...what would you guys suggest. I am leaning to Inconel.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

A "solution" from a video some time back---
https://youtu.be/9VDCcAj7Nzw?t=298
Dave
aka "RTFM"
exnailpounder

Artie F. Emm wrote:A "solution" from a video some time back---
https://youtu.be/9VDCcAj7Nzw?t=298
THANK YOU!! I don't really want to put kerosene on this crack but I have to grind it and prep and clean it anyway so I am guessing it will be ok. Thanks Artie!
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

What material is the manifold ? boats use all sorts - easiest way to follow end of crack is give the visible bit a good heat with an acetylene torch & follow it along - the edges will be quite visible & likely move slightly - at the end obviously it won't - if it won't tolerate the heat from this without further cracking it is likely not going to weld.
exnailpounder

noddybrian wrote:What material is the manifold ? boats use all sorts - easiest way to follow end of crack is give the visible bit a good heat with an acetylene torch & follow it along - the edges will be quite visible & likely move slightly - at the end obviously it won't - if it won't tolerate the heat from this without further cracking it is likely not going to weld.
It's cast iron. I have decided to SilBr it because it's an old part that is most likely very contaminated. I am going to give it a good cleaning and pre-heat so that should remove alot of the crud in the weld area and I have had the most luck with SilBr on cast. I'll put up pics later.