General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Thank you to all the veterans on this site for your service, whether in this country or another. You are the true hero's of the world. Let's remember the fallen ones today no matter where in the world you are. 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Thank you to all the veterans on this site for your service, whether in this country or another. You are the true hero's of the world. Let's remember the fallen ones today no matter where in the world you are. 8-)
+1 Thank you for your service. ;)

Thanks to our veterans', My father was in the bottom gun turret on a B-17
USA.gif
USA.gif (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1129 times
Richard
Website
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

LtBadd wrote:Thanks to our veterans', My father was in the bottom gun turret on a B-17
USA.gif
That had to be the scariest job in the world! I've watched tons of WWII movies and documentaries and they have a job I could never do.

And thank you to all of those who have served, are serving, passed on and to their families who sacrifice as well.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder

My dad was in the Navy and was at the Operation Crossroads Able and Baker atom bomb tests at Bikini. He towed the ships that were part of the test into place and loaded the decks with the animals that were also part of it. I showed him some YT videos of the blasts when he was in the hospital before he passed away. He served on the Nevada before they used it in the blast test. I remember his Nevada tattoo on his wrist.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

My dad was a crew chief on the bombers back then. He said the crew chief always had to go fly with the pilot after a repair. I guess that alone would make someone a better mechanic. :D
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:My dad was a crew chief on the bombers back then. He said the crew chief always had to go fly with the pilot after a repair. I guess that alone would make someone a better mechanic. :D
They lived in better times. I sure do miss my dad but I see him every time I look in the mirror :)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I didn't spot this thread yesterday, but for Memorial Day, I offer tribute to my uncle, LtJG John Keith, who was the first operational casualty of VF-17, the Jolly Rogers. His F4U Corsair was hit by AAA during a strafing run in the Solomon Islands 1 November 1943. He was forced to ditch, and was unable to recover his life raft from the sinking plane, so was in the water in his Mae West. His wingman circled 'til dark, then was forced to return to base for low fuel. An extensive search revealed no further trace of him. He was declared MIA on 2 Nov. 1943, and officially re-listed as KIA sometime in '46.

Steve