General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
tjmack321
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Hey yall,

I recently got medically retired from Army after 12 years in. I loved it and planned on making it a lifelong career so was a bit blindsided when I had to retire early. I needed to find a new career and I decided on welding as it always interested me.

I'm finding it difficult to get my foot in the door at a job. And that's all I need because I'm always successful at any job I've had and a hard worker. However, nobody is really interested if you don't have at least 2 years experience and most job listings says 3-5.

I've taken some welding classes and also worked part time for a few months for a friend of an instructor of mine. But my children moved to Georgia and I had to follow them there.

I know I am starting out from the bottom, but I'm coming up empty handed so far. Another thing that worries me is that as time goes on, I'm just getting out of practice. I'd love to buy a welder and I'd stay out in the garage all night practicing, but I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'll be trying to get back to school, but really would like to get some real experience.

Any advice? Thanks!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You can buy a very affordable 120v DC Stick and TIG box from a store like Northern Tool, or Harbor Freight. While these units are not remotely close to a "work box", they are certainly capable of keeping you burning rods and practicing. Because they will run off 120v, you can plug them into a decent 20amp garage outlet too.

Also, look on your local Craigslist. "Tombstone" welders show up all the time for around $200. They do both AC and DC but usually require 220v outlets.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

If you haven't already, go to your VA center and talk to them.

I went to college in my 30's with my VA rep helping make sure I was getting the help I needed.

Old Vern has since passed away but he took care of me and I'm sure someone in your local center will do the same.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There is a program called "Helmets to Hardhats", designed specifically to take veterans into the trades after discharge. Give that a google, and see what you find in your area.

Steve
tjmack321
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:42 pm

@otto: I will check that site out, I had not heard of it before. Thanks

@Dave: I was working with the VA in Texas and that was how I was going to school. Unfortunately my rep there has been sluggish in getting my paperwork transferred over and the VA won't see me here until it has gone through.

@cj: Well I went ahead and just bought a Lincoln MP 210 lol. I figured I might as well spend the money if I want to get better.

Thanks for the input guys. I've actually just taken a weld test for one company and have another coming up soon. So my outlook is a bit more positive now!
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Good for you - keep at it man :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.