General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

AndersK wrote:None of you tried heat shrinking to remove oil canning?
I have done heat shrinking, mixed results on thin material.
But I don't think this will solve his particular problem - looks to me like too thin for the desired use.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:31 pm

MinnesotaDave - Why? The 18g goes almost to the end and if I put the 11g on it, it will basically be sitting on the tubing underneath. The 18g is sitting perfectly flat so I'm thinking the 11g wouldn't know the difference if I cut the 18g off or not. It'll add a nice decorative characteristic :)

AndersK - I know a thing or two about that. Notice the 'dimples' in this floor pan. I'm not sure if you know a better way, but here, I used a dent puller gun
Attachments
20130416_105707.jpg
20130416_105707.jpg (34.07 KiB) Viewed 768 times
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Why would I replace the sheet that you're not happy with? Because that's how I would do it if it were mine.

You should fix it however you like.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:31 pm

I'm not sure you would if your time was as limited as mine right now. I'm killing two birds with one stone here. I'm fixing the problem while saving time doing it. Thanks for your input
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Yeah the dent puller works similar, will help heat shrink in a small area.
The old school method is heat, hammer & dolly which you can apply to your problem.
Put the sheet on a flat steel bench, or plate, so the canning bulge upwards. Heat the center and give it a good whack with a hand sledge. Leave the sledge against the sheet, will suck up the heat. You might have to repeat. If it's a large area you might have to work in circles outside in.