General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
tjmack321
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello!

I have some 1/4" and 1/8" thick steel flat stock that I need to cut into a bunch of coupons so I can practice welding in my garage. I will buy you a case of your favorite beer if you let me have access to your shear/ironworker. Shouldn't take me more than a half hour. You can't beat that deal! Any takers?
Last edited by tjmack321 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If only I had a sheer. :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Poland308 wrote:If only I had a sheer. :D
And lived near Georgia...
I wish I had a shear to and not for the beer since I am underage but just to have one have you considered a plasma cutter at all?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

If you're going to weld you'll need a 14" abrasive chop saw anyway - about $160 for a fairly decent one at the hardware store.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

And at first you only need 4 pieces of flat to make a block, and burn on it about 260 rods . 20 hours welding +-

Then another one .. etc

https://youtu.be/kujfqbxSXT8

The 14' saw is a very good idea . Certainly I will consider one .

Good luck

PS the trick with the beer works only for a short moment ;)
Last edited by olek on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Poland308 wrote:If only I had a sheer. :D
And lived near Georgia...
I wish I had a shear to and not for the beer since I am underage but just to have one have you considered a plasma cutter at all?
Oh you did not know , that trick from a welder : "to stop shaking , drink 2 beers" ;)
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I guess we should ask the size of the material you have to ensure that we reccomend the right tools. But the abrasive saws work well for stuff that size and a tip for the saw: turn it on end and not on the wide part.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

TJ - There's a MetalSupermarket branch in Atlanta on Pleasantdale Road, or a location in Marietta on Williams Drive. Either should have a shear more than capable of clipping that material. go introduce yourself, and I'd bet for a cup of bucks and some business, they'd clip those for you.

The branch near me does stuff like this all the time and I've gotten to know the owner rather well. I've welded some stuff for them, he's sent some customers my way for machining and welding services, and I buy a ton of material from him. They're potentially a great business relationship to have.

They even might allow you to rummage through their "drops" for welding practice material, then return it to them so they can have it recycled in the end (it actually yields more money for them with all the welding wire and beads). Worth the trips-
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Alternatively you really can't beat the deal from the James F Lincoln foundation unless you have free steel from somewhere. Jody did a video on this a while back, and I have bought like 3 or 4 boxes of 10 of these. You can get a box of 10 kits delivered for around $60. That is 60 pieces of 2 inch x 6 inch x 1/8 cold rolled steel plus 20 pieces of 3 inch by 3 inch by 1/4 (also CRS? not sure), all cut and ready to weld for the most part. If you want to TIG weld them they need an acetone bath, they are pretty oily. I pay about a buck a pound for steel at my local supplier for drops, and that isn't cut to coupon size. This is a bit cheaper and way easier. Just buy 10 or more to get the discounted price.

https://www.jflf.org/ProductDetails.asp ... Code=METAL
Multimatic 255