General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Shastri11
    Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am

Does anybody have an idea as to what mechanical property the material will achieve knowing the chemical composition and the knowing desired heat treatment to be selected ?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

"mechanical property" can literally mean hundreds of different things. You really need to be more descriptive. Yourself being a quality engineer, I would think you could help us help you by being as detailed as possible. ;)
Shastri11

I have to test SS410 bar which has undergone " Hardened and tempered(T)" heat treatment for impact testing.
Bar dimensions - dia. 100mm, length - 600 mm.
Chemical composition :
Carbon 0.12
Silicon 0.45
Manganese 0.85
Chromium 12.01
Phosphorous 0.008
Sulphur 0.0056
hardness 170 BHN
The bar is failing in impact test at 0 deg. celcius.Avg. required impact test value is 27 J.
Can anybody guide me , if there is any correlation between chemical composition and mechanical properties.So that with prior guess I can avoid failure and educate the vendor.
Notapro
    Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 pm

You need to work with your heat treater, they can review their process and adjust, were they aware of these requirements, if they were, they should have tested this. A good relationship with them will be rewarding.
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

@ Shastri11 - start by reviewing this tech sheet on Martensitic 410 Stainless.

Your purported through-hardness value of 170 BHN is below the avg for 410SS, most likely owing to your reduced (from 0.15%) Carbon content of 0.12%. Typical avg values achieved for hardened/tempered 410SS are 200 BHN (38-40 RC).

Also, 410SS is not well suited for "tough" applications near zero and sub-zero.

What were the resultant impact energies achieved with your tested 410SS?
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
Shastri11

Arclight Ironworks wrote:@ Shastri11 - start by reviewing this tech sheet on Martensitic 410 Stainless.

Your purported through-hardness value of 170 BHN is below the avg for 410SS, most likely owing to your reduced (from 0.15%) Carbon content of 0.12%. Typical avg values achieved for hardened/tempered 410SS are 200 BHN (38-40 RC).

Also, 410SS is not well suited for "tough" applications near zero and sub-zero.

What were the resultant impact energies achieved with your tested 410SS?
As such it is my clients requirement to test the material at 0 deg celsius with average energy value required more than 27 J. Finally there would be no option for me to do R&D for different compositions and heat treatment to get optimum results for impact test and other mechanical properties.
The above link you suggested I already referred it.
Any article or research paper would be quite helpful?
The resultant values for impact test were 16J,18J & 32J.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Shastri11, are you on LinkedIn? There's a group there sponsored by Sandvic that I participate in. It gives me access to some of the top metallurgists and welding engineers in the world.

It's called Welding and Materials, and here's a direct link.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8477919

Steve
Shastri11

Thank You Mr.Otto.