General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
HEPHAESTUS777
    Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Hello all, I joined this forum with a hope that I may finally end up with the answer that I am looking for.
My issue is in regards to aluminum failures in X-ray, penetrant and destructive testing. The material that we are welding is 1.5" X .035 wall 6061 T4 tubing. I have gone though just about every preventative measure possible to alleviate our issues and I'm left wondering if my argon supply line is causing moisture to build up in the line. Within the last year and a half my company put in new crimp style 2" copper line that runs from our liquid Argon tank about 350' to the weld department. Could that size copper be sweating moisture into the line?
Attachments
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (100.07 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I don't suspect the line.

A bulk tank will accumulate moisture over time, especially if you're the second delivery and the driver doesn't properly blow out/dry the transfer hose.

Get your supplier to come analyze your gas. You may need to add a substantial dessicant pack to your houseline after the vaporizer.

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Get a small rental cylinder in just for an experiment to see if you get the same results, you'll be able to rule it in or out pretty quick.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
HEPHAESTUS777
    Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I don't suspect the line.

A bulk tank will accumulate moisture over time, especially if you're the second delivery and the driver doesn't properly blow out/dry the transfer hose.

Get your supplier to come analyze your gas. You may need to add a substantial dessicant pack to your houseline after the vaporizer.

Steve S
Thank you, we are currently looking into a dryer from Drierite. P/N 50207. I believe this will help with a majority of the problems we are having.
Also we are currently locked in fight with Matheson about when and how they should be testing the liquid argon they are supplying. Contract B/S.