General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

SO I was welding on my Lincoln buzzbox today at about 75 amps, and the fan started to really bog down and the arc got real low. I broke the arc and the fan slowly labored back up, but when I went to run some more bead, it bogged down again even lower.

I took everything apart about 3 months ago and cleaned everything, the contacts and such, blew out all the spider webs. Been usin it about once or twice a week for a few hours a go, just to keep my skills up. Worked fine until today. Things probably 20 years old, bought it off an old timer for 50 bucks.

Is it finally done?
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Curly
    Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:02 am

RIP buzzbox.
Regards Curly
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Kerm, sounds like it's time for a Home Depot run. They've got them. A slow running fan will cause heat build up in the transformers and over time the coating on the windings can break down. When that happens it's time for a new one. 20 years is a fair amount of use. I think we've all seen them last much longer but 20,,,, that's not bad.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
rickbreeezy
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Damn, is it one of the lincoln tombstone models? >insert lame joke here<

I think its about done man, but you can try using an extra fan to help cool it, maybe that'll help.

Sorry about your bad luck,

-Rick
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Yep I think it finally toook a shit on me. Oh well, got my 50 bucks outta it. Finally got an excuse to by a real welder now :) Woo hoo! God bless the man that invented credit cards :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?