General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Bingo
    Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Anyone know or seen a alloy reference guide? where you can look up an alloy find out what wire to use and other info such as per heat temp or weldability .
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Bingo wrote:Anyone know or seen a alloy reference guide? where you can look up an alloy find out what wire to use and other info such as per heat temp or weldability .
A complete composition, no, but I have been lucky enough to find any info I needed on the internet, or (bear with me here, I know it's 2017 and picking up the phone is a lost art for people under 30 like myself) calling who as far as I can tell makes the alloy, or better yet, find a shop that's willing to pass info on that you won't get from the spec sheet

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

If you search -welding information-rolled alloys inc. - one site has a programmable chart to find the proper filler for various alloys whether the same or different. Might be a start :?: :geek:
Bingo
    Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Green time- I have a network of people with many more years of knowledge then my self that I can call. a machine shop I do some side work for had a book of aluminum alloy and info on them ( as applies to machining) . I just wanted why there's not something like that for welding . Also like the tangibility of a book!
Homeboy - thanks I'll take a look

Bingo wrote:Anyone know or seen a alloy reference guide? where you can look up an alloy find out what wire to use and other info such as per heat temp or weldability .
That would be quite a large volume for sure, to add to what others have already posted, here are a few of the links I have bookmarked over the years...

WeldWire
Hobart Filler metals
Weld Mold Company good for tool steels, also a good resource if you want to actually speak to someone :lol:
Wisconsin Wire Works good source for information on Copper and Copper alloys, for chemistry see the "Specs" page, and the "Technical" page for more info
as already mentioned Rolled Alloys lots of good info here, have a look around...

This list is very limited compared to what you could find, still there is a wealth of info available.
Richard
Website