General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Tx1afan
    Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:24 pm

Howdy guys and thanks for all the great info on the site!!

I am retired and in my late 50's. I live in a very small community in Texas. There aren't any welders in this area that can do small jobs i.e. Gate repairs, BBQ pit repairs, etc etc. I am considering opening a small shop and doing some of these jobs to try and keep busy as well as maybe make a couple more dollars here and there. I do own a small Hobart gas powered machine with an oxy/acet torch on a small 10ft trailer that I have used to do odd jobs and repairs around my place for several years. I have never had any formal training or possessed any certificates for welding. My father and grandfather were water well drillers for many years and I learned what knowledge I do have from them while I was growing up.

My question is, what would be the minimum requirements I would need to open this potential shop? As well what would you guys suggest as far as maybe carrying liability insurance and or being bonded?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

I'm going to copy this into "general shop talk", where a lot more people will see it. There will be some great advice, and several links to previous similar topics for you to read through.

Steve
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome...
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Tx1afan

Nobody?

Maybe someone would rather suggest the best place for me to go to get advice?

Thank you.
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

The question of insurance for a small business is always a hot button topic. Two things drive insurance. First, will your customers require it? Second, how risk averse are you and what do you have in asserts that can be attached? I've run an aircraft repair business for almost 40 years on a part time basis with no insurance. The premium for product liability for what I do would exceed my gross receipts. So in my case it's accept the risk or close the business.

You may be able to control some of your liability by forming a corporation and do all the work in the corporate name. If you are risk averse, check with a lawyer. You should also check with your county to see if you need a business license, and the state to see if you need to collect sales tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
Tx1afan

Thank you dgapilot.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I'd create an LLC to protect your personal assets. We did that with our horse barn, I think it cost about $3K including all the waivers, recording the change to the deed, etc. That way if someone sues and wins, they can only take the things in the LLC. I have no idea what welding insurance costs, but you might see if you can get some kind of an umbrella policy on your homeowner's policy. We have state farm, I know they cover home based businesses because my wife has one, but not sure about welding where your biggest liability is probably going to occur off your property if something breaks.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
TxTaildragger
    Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 am

I've started an LLC.........we build aircraft engines , lycoming etc...... We also do some welding here and there.
Lawyers will always find a hole in paperwork, it's the world we live in......
Lincoln Tig 255 SquareWave
Lincoln CoolArc 40
Miller 251
Pilot/A&P
dgapilot

TxTaildragger wrote:I've started an LLC.........we build aircraft engines , lycoming etc...... We also do some welding here and there.
The biggest problem in aviation is unless you are a repair station, you still have to sign as an individual with your A&P certificate. No way to get around that liability!

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
Tx1afan

Thanks for the replies. Every journey starts with the first step and a direction. Thanks for helping me narrow that down.
dgapilot

TxTaildragger wrote:I've started an LLC.........we build aircraft engines , lycoming etc...... We also do some welding here and there.
Are you doing it as a 145 repair station, or signing everything off with you A&P? If you are using your A&P, the LLC won't buy you any liability protection.

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene