General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

I defiantly will need casters on whatever table I make or buy. I've also been watching Craigslist to see if something pops up. Biggest problem is finding something I can wrestle around myself with just an engine hoist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Once you have casters on worktables you will never go without especially in a smaller shop like mine where the furniture has to be rearranged for different projects. Make sure they have plenty of load rating for the heaviest possible job. On my first table I had to upgrade after a wheel collapsed when I grossed out with table and project at aprox.1000lbs. Another tip if you are using an engine hoist is leave enough space under the bottom shelf/supports to let the hoist legs pass under the table for loading and unloading the heavy stuff without breaking your back. :D
dgapilot

So I ordered a 36x48 fab block from weldtable.com and it arrived Monday. Started assembly today. Got everything together and while checking it out before welding, found a section that wasn't seated properly. Took it all back apart, did some debuting and reassembled. Now I can't get a .003" feeler gage between any of the ribs and the top. I'll let it sit overnight and start welding tomorrow. I don't have a mig, so this one will be all tig.ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
dgapilot

No pics today, got most of the top welded up, just one more side to finish up. Wish my skill level was a little better. Set the Everlast 210EXT to 210 amps, 5 second down slope, end amps of 5, start amps of 5 and upslope of 1 second for all the tacks. Finish welds I lowered to 180 amps. All done 2T with the switch on the torch.

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
houdni
    Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:26 pm

1/4" thick top?....
dgapilot

Yes, 1/4 thick. Torsion box design. From these guys https://weldtables.com

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

dgapilot wrote:No pics today, got most of the top welded up, just one more side to finish up. Wish my skill level was a little better. Set the Everlast 210EXT to 210 amps, 5 second down slope, end amps of 5, start amps of 5 and upslope of 1 second for all the tacks. Finish welds I lowered to 180 amps. All done 2T with the switch on the torch.
sounds hot... :shock: If these were just tacks, why some much amperage? 1/4" steel is easily and fully welded with a lot less heat.
dgapilot

cj737 wrote:
dgapilot wrote:No pics today, got most of the top welded up, just one more side to finish up. Wish my skill level was a little better. Set the Everlast 210EXT to 210 amps, 5 second down slope, end amps of 5, start amps of 5 and upslope of 1 second for all the tacks. Finish welds I lowered to 180 amps. All done 2T with the switch on the torch.
sounds hot... :shock: If these were just tacks, why some much amperage? 1/4" steel is easily and fully welded with a lot less heat.
I lowered it to 180 after a while. I was trying to get in and get out quick. Didn't work quite the way I wanted. Inexperience is the biggest issue. Got it all stuck together! Given my level of experience, it came out OK. ImageImage

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene

dgapilot wrote: I lowered it to 180 after a while. I was trying to get in and get out quick. Didn't work quite the way I wanted. Inexperience is the biggest issue. Got it all stuck together! Given my level of experience, it came out OK.

David, looks good, you have to experiment to find out what works, seems you got it done, that's how we all improve
Richard
Website
dgapilot

If I ever build another, hopefully I'll have a mig. With the tig it took the better part of 2 1/2 days. Not really a beginner project, and definitely not advisable for one person with no help! I learned how far I have to go in building my skills. Someone mentioned about 2 or 3 bottles of argon by the time the welds look acceptable. I think that's about the truth.

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene