General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Dry Bean Dreams
    Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:56 pm

I have everything mobile for mild steel and dry rig stainless, but I would like thoughts on portable HF TIG and MIG.
I'm leaning towards Multi process machines Miller XMT350 or 352mpa run off an engine driven machine or generator with the needed accessories for Stick, AC TIG, and MIG and or Spool gun.
Or would it be just as well to go with individual process specific semi portable shop machines ( i.e. HTP221, MillerMatic 252 or 350P powered by generator or an engine driven welding machine? sorry if this is vague but I would like the best equipment for my shop but also be somewhat portable. I don't really like under 200 amp machines with low duty cycles for MIG or Stick. Most of my TIG work will be light gage under 1/8". I understand some of the smaller TIG machines do quite well but I want Aluminum capabilities as well. I'm open for your ideas on the perfect list of machines. Still thinking Multi process just to eliminate buying 4 or 5 machines.
Regards,
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Tricky to find a multiprocessmachine capable of HF, AC, and 200 amps. Many of the multiprocess boxes do AL via spool guns, and don't often have HF TIG.

A Miller Dynasty 210DX will take care of the HF TIG with AC and DC plus Stick, 120/240/480 power capable, but you'd still need a decent MIG. A Lincoln SquareWave 200 is another option for a smaller, capable TIG (AC/DC plus HF) but no MIG. A Miller MultiMatic checks all the processes, but no HF, and no AC TIG (AL via Spool Gun) but is a very nice portable box.

Everything is a matter of priorities, compromises, or money :cry:
Dry Bean Dreams

cj737 wrote:Tricky to find a multiprocessmachine capable of HF, AC, and 200 amps. Many of the multiprocess boxes do AL via spool guns, and don't often have HF TIG.

A Miller Dynasty 210DX will take care of the HF TIG with AC and DC plus Stick, 120/240/480 power capable, but you'd still need a decent MIG. A Lincoln SquareWave 200 is another option for a smaller, capable TIG (AC/DC plus HF) but no MIG. A Miller MultiMatic checks all the processes, but no HF, and no AC TIG (AL via Spool Gun) but is a very nice portable box.

Everything is a matter of priorities, compromises, or money :cry:
Thanks Heavy Hitter, I have a Suitcase 12VS for field MIG I run with a Lincoln SA200 but its only CC. I also have an Bobcat 250NT CC/CV I can pair with it but it's a old machine I need to upgrade. So I was thinking a Miller 350P for shop mig and then the idea was to find some thing for remote HF TIG but Multi Process or a Dynasty 210 or 280 TIG.......Maybe I'm asking too much. I welded in many shops in 35yrs with the best equipment so I'm a little spoiled in that I really don't want to fight mediocre equipment in the field. Kind of like asking a nascar driver to drive a Kia. It's hard to go back where we all started with worn out or inferior tools.
cj737

Dry Bean Dreams wrote: So I was thinking a Miller 350P for shop mig and then the idea was to find some thing for remote HF TIG but Multi Process or a Dynasty 210 or 280 TIG.......Maybe I'm asking too much.
I subscribe to your way of thinking. Buy once, buy the best I can afford, and take care of it. An initial investment in a quality machine always pays itself off with its reliability (in my opinion). Hard to beat a Dynasty for a TIG box...
Dry Bean Dreams

cj737 wrote:
Dry Bean Dreams wrote: So I was thinking a Miller 350P for shop mig and then the idea was to find some thing for remote HF TIG but Multi Process or a Dynasty 210 or 280 TIG.......Maybe I'm asking too much.
I subscribe to your way of thinking. Buy once, buy the best I can afford, and take care of it. An initial investment in a quality machine always pays itself off with its reliability (in my opinion). Hard to beat a Dynasty for a TIG box...
Thanks for your insight. It's nice to verify a thought process with like minded people. It still leaves a few decisions to make but maybe I'm going the right direction.
Regards,
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You can't go wrong with Miller or HTP. You just have to realize and be true to yourself as to the maximum thickness you will need to weld, and the anticipated duty cycle. That will steer you to the correct choice. A 210dx and 252 would kick butt, so would an Invertig 221 and a ProPulse200. You'd have to have a very large generator to run these though. About 13-15kW running power. I might pick up a ProPulse200 for myself. Just for fun. :)
cj737

Oscar wrote:You can't go wrong with Miller or HTP. You just have to realize and be true to yourself as to the maximum thickness you will need to weld, and the anticipated duty cycle. That will steer you to the correct choice. A 210dx and 252 would kick butt, so would an Invertig 221 and a ProPulse200. You'd have to have a very large generator to run these though. About 13-15kW running power. I might pick up a ProPulse200 for myself. Just for fun. :)
I've run my Dynasty 200DX off a 5500kW generator on the 220 plug without issue. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it certainly welds 3/4" steel happily off that small a generator. The inverter only pulls less than 35amps so you can get away with less power source (especially in the shop!).

cj737 wrote:
Oscar wrote:You can't go wrong with Miller or HTP. You just have to realize and be true to yourself as to the maximum thickness you will need to weld, and the anticipated duty cycle. That will steer you to the correct choice. A 210dx and 252 would kick butt, so would an Invertig 221 and a ProPulse200. You'd have to have a very large generator to run these though. About 13-15kW running power. I might pick up a ProPulse200 for myself. Just for fun. :)
I've run my Dynasty 200DX off a 5500kW generator on the 220 plug without issue. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it certainly welds 3/4" steel happily off that small a generator. The inverter only pulls less than 35amps so you can get away with less power source (especially in the shop!).
Very true for the TIG aspect. I should have been more specific in the sense that the start-up current draw for MIG is a little bit higher than TIG, and stick is very much higher than TIG with a typical hot-start function enabled.
cj737

Oscar wrote:
cj737 wrote:
Very true for the TIG aspect. I should have been more specific in the sense that the start-up current draw for MIG is a little bit higher than TIG, and stick is very much higher than TIG with a typical hot-start function enabled.
We have different experiences. My Dynasty will run off the same outlet 240v 35amp on TIG and Stick. My MultiMatic will TIG, Stick, MIG, Spool and Flux wire off the same outlet. These breakers are never tripped based upon which process as the Inverter needs what it needs to run.

Now the machine internally will make/require different amperage for different processes, but the service requirements don't change as a result. I would still side with you about sizing my generator above 8Kva to use in the field as a reliable, durable source of power.

cj737 wrote:
Oscar wrote:
cj737 wrote:I've run my Dynasty 200DX off a 5500kW generator on the 220 plug without issue. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it certainly welds 3/4" steel happily off that small a generator. The inverter only pulls less than 35amps so you can get away with less power source (especially in the shop!).
We have different experiences. My Dynasty will run off the same outlet 240v 35amp on TIG and Stick. My MultiMatic will TIG, Stick, MIG, Spool and Flux wire off the same outlet. These breakers are never tripped based upon which process as the Inverter needs what it needs to run.

Now the machine internally will make/require different amperage for different processes, but the service requirements don't change as a result. I would still side with you about sizing my generator above 8Kva to use in the field as a reliable, durable source of power.
Quite different. When I ran 7018 @125A with my TIG/stick welder off my 7kW generator, for the ~1 second the hot start kicks in, the digital display shows 99-100% Load, but then backs down to about 55% once the hot-start subsides. I was quite surprised. What I need to do is hook up the digital ammeter to see the actual current draw through it all.