General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Brettmm92
    Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Is it possible?
I'm wanting to see it but my hoods need something more than the sun to activate consistently
I wish I could do things for the second time, the first time.
Shoot for perfect, get great, think it's only good
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Arrange to weld something overhead during the eclipse?

I'll have to see if my auto-dark will do the job. Supposedly shade 14 is the way to go.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

What kind of helmet
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

If you have a sensitivity adjustment if you turn it to high would that not do it? In a full eclipse area probably not but maybe in a partial :?:
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Auto darkening helmets are designed to allow outdoor welding, so they have some kind of bandpass filter that's looking for some part of the sun's spectrum so they don't get dark. So it might be tricky to get it to stay dark. I've found they're really sensitive to flourescent light, so if you had one of those small battery powered flourescent lights that people use to read books in bed, you could hold that up to the lens and that should darken it. You could experiment with LED and CFL lights to see if they would trigger it.

Also, you can use a shade as low as 12, 14 is supposedly going to be too dark to see anything. Here is a quote from NASA's page on eclipse safety:
"The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find. "
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Brettmm92
    Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks for all the replys. My hood is one of the harbor freights. I'm gonna have to experiment with those lights but I did find out that pointing a remote with a button depressed works. One of my hoods just blinks but my harbor freight stays on with the remote. And that nasa tidbit is good to know. I hope everyone makes time to see the eclipse :)
I wish I could do things for the second time, the first time.
Shoot for perfect, get great, think it's only good
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I just responded, it didn't work.

I used Lincoln Innershield .045" in a Millermatic 252 last night. The product burns deep like 6011. I believe it is considered to be low hydrogen if wire is properly stored. It runs vertical with incredible ease, and lays down a lot of filler in a big hurry.

My project involved filling 16 cubic inches of joint in (I'll estimate) 1 hour of trigger time. The 252 handles the load fine. On demand fan comes on, runs continuously while welding, and shuts off a few minutes after stopping. I fused all the head components together in my stock M25 gun, so I bought a 400 amp Bernard gun for Dualshield.

You need the gun, knurled rollers, roller wire guide, and .045 either Dualshield from ESAB or Lincoln's Innershield, Or is it outer shield?

Willie