General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bosulli
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

Maybe this is two questions in one post.

Shopping for sa200. Prefer to get copper coils, if I am going to the trouble of finding one, and updating.

Have read every post on WT&T.com and on the interweb I can find, but can't find any definitive info.

Supposedly machines post 1972 are aluminum coil, and machines with the octagonal shaped generator cover are aluminum. All sa200 with red faceplates are copper, and some black face plates are copper. Is this true? I have been using the Stumpf web site to check serial #'s to year.

Can you replace the aluminum coils with copper coils that I see for sale? If so, I can buy any model and replace the coils if they are not copper.

Found a 1970 sa200 on CL, for a decent price. Its has a black plate. The generator is round. I am assuming its copper. If can replace aluminum coils with copper, then I will look at younger machines.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Maybe worth trying to contact Travis on this one - don't think he's a member here but he is elsewhere & sometimes he responds to YouTube comments - he takes collecting them to the next level !
bosulli

Im a YouTube subscriber of his. did not know he took questions.
bosulli

Can the aluminum clad coils be replaced with copper? Sometimes I read that they have been replaced, then I read that not all machines can be replaced.