General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JohnMc
    Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:42 pm

So I have been shopping around looking for a welder for my home shop. I will at some time get a dedicated Tig machine as there are some aluminum projects I would like to do.But with the first machine I am hopping to handle all my steel welding. But understand that I will probably be missing some low end on Tig but this should get covered by the future Tig machine.So I am looking at Mig, Tig, Stick multi process machines dual volt machines. What I would like the machine to do is Mig from 18g to 1/4" run a 1/8" 7018 and have a good usable tig range. Nice to haves would be Tig down around 24g steel and SS and maybe a 6010 function. The two machines I am mostly looking at are a Esab Rebel 215ic or a Lincoln 210MP tig pack. After adding a pedal to the Esab they both come to about $2400 Canadian or about my max budget. I have also considered a Everlast PowerMTS 211Si Are there any other machines I should be looking at? Or although I kind of like the idea of a all in one machine is there a combination of machines that would better suit my needs?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The 210mp is a good all around machine. I have one and like it a lot. But it doesn't do a great job with the 6010. You can run them but it's a challenge.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Check out the Miller MultiMatic 215. TIG (DC) Stick and MIG. Also supports a Spool Gun if you opt for it later. Buy it as the "MIG" option now, add a CK Superflex 25mm Dinse TIG cable later, and a pedal. Spreads your expense out. Runs dual voltage, lightweight and small. But has a great arc, runs Stick electrodes quite well, and super easy to set.
JohnMc

Not to worried about 6010. Would be used as a tiebreaker. Not sure how I missed the Miller 215. Other then all the ones I looked at where around $3000 Have to look at it some more.
Poland308

I chose the Lincoln 210mp because I already had a AC/DC tig machine that I use for stick work as well 230v only. I really only use it for mig. I have tiged and stick welded with it. But it has worked really well with some extra small wire .023. On 115v That I used for doing some floor pans in a car as well as a bunch of exhaust and light weight repairs and patches on snow blowers and lawn mower decks. I have run some larger wire .035 and .045 as well on 230v. Mig is its best feature.

Josh
JohnMc

So in looking at the options. It seems that I always end up focusing on the machines Tig function. So I am thinking that I should be looking at getting the AC/DC Tig machine sooner than I thought and not worrying about Tig in the other machine. So I am currently looking at Mig, Mig/stick and <$1000 Multi process machines. Are there any recommendations on these machines. Another reason is my computer just died so my $2500 budget for the multi process just got cut in half.
Poland308

If your leaning toward tig. Then forget mig and invest in an AC/DC tig machine.

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... rice=-1000
There's a great list of machines right here for you-

I'd focus on a quality MIG/Flux/Spool machine now, then your AC/DC TIG will do Stick and TIG.