General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

Well, my retirement shop in Summers, AR is coming along nicely. The plan is to retire from my govt job here in Alaska around June next year and head south. I've been running a small welding shop on the side here for 5 years now and I'm planning on supplementing my retirement income with welding in AR. I'm leaving on 9/29 to go work on the shop for three weeks. Hopefully I'll get quite a bit of wiring done as well as the office/bathroom/laundry room built in the back of the shop.
ARshop2.jpg
ARshop2.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
ARshop.jpg
ARshop.jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 1854 times

Very nice. My retirement plan is very similar to yours.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

That is a nice shop. I would ask if it has a nice heat system but in Arizona you might want AC. I would say it was my retirement plan as well, but that wont be for like 50 years so... That shop should serve you well. What is the dimensions on this building?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Farmwelding wrote:That is a nice shop. I would ask if it has a nice heat system but in Arizona you might want AC. I would say it was my retirement plan as well, but that wont be for like 50 years so... That shop should serve you well. What is the dimensions on this building?
AR is Arkansas. AZ is Arizona.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

:lol:

Nice shop too.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding

Let me explain...see every guy I know who retired goes to Arizona so I just missed the letter difference. Either way it is warmer than Alaska.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Let me explain...see every guy I know who retired goes to Arizona so I just missed the letter difference. Either way it is warmer than Alaska.
On some days! I live outside D.C. My daughter lives in Chugiak AK. There are many days where it is colder in DC than it is in Chugiak. That said, the average is colder up there, and not as much sun in the winter. That would be the hardest to get used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

less polar-bears and frozen digits. congratulations.
AKmud

weldin mike 27 wrote:less polar-bears and frozen digits. congratulations.

Definitely! Winters aren't as fun as they used to be. I'm ready for some sunshine.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Winter isn't fun where I am and I only gets down to about 0 degrees c
Farmwelding

weldin mike 27 wrote:Winter isn't fun where I am and I only gets down to about 0 degrees c
Hah. That's barely freezing. That's warm for winter where I come from. That's sweating weather. Man that must be nice during the winter in Oz at least where you are.
Nick
AKmud

When I was working up north, I got to experience -62*F with a windchill of -106*F.
Farmwelding

AKmud wrote:When I was working up north, I got to experience -62*F with a windchill of -106*F.
Well...you got me beat for sure. That is not okay at all.
Nick
AKmud

Coming along quickly!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.38 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I'll say it is, must be nice to have a roof and walls done. I'm jealous.. :)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Looking good! I think your shop is bigger than my house!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

excellant shop but a lot to heat and cool.
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

There are split air cons out now that come with pv panel set up that reduces grid power consumption by 90 %. Put some of them in and get the sun to cool your shed.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

It is a thing of beauty. :mrgreen: Congrats!

It took a bunch of turkey sandwiches, overtime, and doing away with all the stupid crap in my life to make it happen for me. That was two years ago and probably the best decision that I've ever made.
Coldman wrote:There are split air cons out now that come with pv panel set up that reduces grid power consumption by 90 %. Put some of them in and get the sun to cool your shed.
I didn't realize that they now have these powered by solar. I looked into the mini splits and it seemed like a great solution until I started looking into the reviews. I know these are very popular outside of the states. For some reason they don't read as being very reliable for what is sold here. Maybe this has changed in past couple of years or I was just looking at a bunch of bad brands. I ended up going with a high seer rating, conventional unit to cool down 1/4 of the shop. Natural gas for heat.
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If your going to use mini splits in a dusty environment it’s a bad thing. If you want to use them get Fujitsu in the heatpump models. We use them all the time. We even do the multi zone vrf ones at work and there very reliable.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
whatcherDillard
    Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:06 am

Looks great!!