It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:12 am Advanced search

What about making workshop using steel buildings?

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

What about making workshop using steel buildings?

Postby tracybaker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 am

Hey all

From my childhood, I love welding and always dreamt to be a welder. I use to do small types of welding in my teen years and am planning to enter into the professional scenario. I want to start a small workshop attached to my home. For the time being, I want to start it as a small venture. I will have some welders working in my welding workshop.

Now, the issue is related to the building of the workshop. I will not have much balance after buying the welding tools and setting up initial facilities. I don't want to build the workshop in a grand way. And am thinking of cost-effective plans.

Last day, I came across steel buildings. I don't know whether it is of low cost. What about using steel for building my workshop? Is it a convenient solution?

I stay in Toronto. Many companies in Ontario provide steel buildings which are premanufactured. Is it a brilliant plan? Does anyone have their workshops built with steel? I want to know the pros and cons and if they are affordable. Expecting your responses.

Thank you.
tracybaker

Re: What about making workshop using steel buildings?

Postby ldbtx » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 pm

As far as I'm concerned, steel is the perfect material for a welding shop. Sturdy, fireproof, and easy to modify as far as partitions and such. It's what I plan to use when I build my "retirement" shop.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
ldbtx
Heavy Hitter

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk