General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
john.pruette

i just found out about metal-depot i must be living under a rock! i dont know what the savings whould be by getting metal online but im going to check it out. if there is anybody out there that us these guys let me know how its working for you
thanks john :idea:
Rbeckett
    Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 am

I used em for some brass and bronze as well as some combo selections for my small mill and lathe. Prices sre OK, just watch your freight. Otherwise I have no problems or issues with em.
Bob
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

Also, try these guys

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com

I purchased a 6061-T6 plate from them, 36"x72"x0.5".

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Wobulate, I just noticed the time stamp on your last reply. What time zone are you in? I thought I was an early riser! :D

Steve
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

Steve,

PST

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Gotcha.

Up a bit late, rather than really early. 8-)

Steve
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Metal Depot's price are higher than you can usually get locally once you make friends and buy a little your prices tend to get even better. If you stay within MD's standard cut sizes you can do O.K. except when you need something in a hurry and have yet to establish that local relationship which in my own opinion is worth every dime.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Looks like you can get decent prices online, but the shipping is what kills ya. Almost any deal you would get from the lower price would be nullifed by the huge cost of shipping these days.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

found this today while lookin for some stainless-
http://www.onlinemetals.com

SEEMS to be some damn good prices. Some of you guys will probably have a better comparison to some of those other online sites though.

edit-they even have sample packs lol :) that made me laugh abit
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
metlcre8or
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Unless you need a very special piece of metal or live so far back in the woods that they have to pump in sunshine, it is usually far more cost-effective to purchase metal locally -- especially if you can't pass on the cost. Internet supply companies mostly have higher prices and you need to figure in shipping. Metal is heavy and the shipping can bankrupt a small nation these days.

--Bill the metal creator
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

online metals is awesome for small cuts, prototype stuff, ect. they're the only place I know that you can get a 2" section of 6" round stock without having to buy a foot.
they have a good selection of oddball stuff, too. titanium, ect.
their discounts for the slightly-less-than-a-foot pieces are nice, too. I usually grab a piece of copper or 1" square or 1x2" rectangle stock for chill bars whenever I need or order something.

they're owned by thyssen krupp, hence the better-than-average pricing.
turbo388
    Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm

So guys, how do you go about finding a local place that will sell hobby-shop quantities to walk in customers? All I can find in my yellow pages are industrial/structural type places that will design a building for you and then come out and put it together. Is there some secret codeword I don't know about, or am I in one of those places with the piped in sunshine?