General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Right now I am doing some 2F fillet welds for a class at tech school and was wondering if their was a trick or way to get the proper weld size other than just checking it afterwards.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Lay a piece of metal on joint so you can scribe a line the height you want the leg length.
Then stand it up and scribe that line.
Watch the toes touch the lines and you'll have it. :)

After doing that a few times you'll get the feel for it - good luck!
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding

MinnesotaDave wrote:Lay a piece of metal on joint so you can scribe a line the height you want the leg length.
Then stand it up and scribe that line.
Watch the toes touch the lines and you'll have it. :)

After doing that a few times you'll get the feel for it - good luck!
I think I actually may have done that before but forgot. I was working on a 6010 and 7018 3/8" fillet weld on 1/4" and the 6010 was a lot easier to get and the 7018, which I still have to finish. Stacking 3 7018s is a lot more difficult.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

For your 3 pass 7018, remember that the 2nd pass is about a 2/3 overlap.

If you only overlap 1/2 way it's a little harder to run the 3rd pass correctly.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Farmwelding

MinnesotaDave wrote:For your 3 pass 7018, remember that the 2nd pass is about a 2/3 overlap.

My instructor showed me the way he did it and it is like 95% covered. 7018s defying all the rules I guess
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:For your 3 pass 7018, remember that the 2nd pass is about a 2/3 overlap.

My instructor showed me the way he did it and it is like 95% covered. 7018s defying all the rules I guess
That'll work too :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Farmwelding

For the first pass I'm doing about he 45 and then damn near straight 90 on the second pass and then damn near straight into the wall on the third pass. Here I thought the 6010 one would be difficult but I got that in like 6 tries.
Nick