General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Poland308 wrote:I like a large viewing area in my hood, but I never realized till reading this that at some point I may need to draw sharpie lines dividing where I need to look when. :shock:
Yeah it sucks when the weld ends up partially in the bifocal and partially in the regular lens....and you didn't notice until you realize you can't really see all of a sudden. :shock: :oops:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Aging is not for the weak! I have always had an ongoing problem with fogging, something about nostril angle. My sons have always been very amused when I lay a nice bead parallel to the joint, but missing it entirely. The braille system doesn't help with welding. For fog, I have learned to cut a hole in a high end paper mask directing breath straight down, not flaring to the side.

Old people magnification is always a struggle. The old man focus issue didn't hit me until later than most. I was fifty. Now I'm never the optimum distance for my cheater to work perfectly.

No wonder old people are grouchy!

Willie
KenK
    Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

No the feeling well. I am north of 65.

I need tri-focals to see what I am doing and also have to wear safety glasses for work. I had a pair of work glasses made by my eye doctor. The work glasses are only bi-focals and only have the short and mid range lens in them. The idea is that while working, I really do not care if I can read the clock across the room but I do need to be able to see close up and three or four feet out. Cutting the eye glasses into three sections makes all three sections to small to be of much good and they certainly do not work under the hood. The Work Safety glasses work for most applications for me as I do not have to take them off to weld and when I need to grind, I just lift the hood and grind. Additionally, a lot of work sites require the welders to wear safety glasses while under the hood. As for the closeup lens in the safety glasses, they are not much good under the hood. Cheeters in the hood are a must.

Has anybody used the relatively new welding glasses sold by Miller?? I work in a lot of tight places and the hood often gets in the way. The Miller welding glasses look like they might help but they are expensive.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Bill Beauregard wrote:Aging is not for the weak! I have always had an ongoing problem with fogging, something about nostril angle. My sons have always been very amused when I lay a nice bead parallel to the joint, but missing it entirely. The braille system doesn't help with welding. For fog, I have learned to cut a hole in a high end paper mask directing breath straight down, not flaring to the side.

Old people magnification is always a struggle. The old man focus issue didn't hit me until later than most. I was fifty. Now I'm never the optimum distance for my cheater to work perfectly.

No wonder old people are grouchy!

Willie
i love when that happens. Lift hood and look and see you missed your joint entirely or started curving but couldn't tell usually when I have a passive shade with the sunlight to my back.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

You really know you are gettin' old when you realize you've been chasing a 'floater' with a fly-swatter for 15 minutes!

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!