General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

carthorse wrote: I'm thinking most of the welding is going to be vertical, I don't have anything big enough to move that thing so I can weld on the flat.
If it's attached to a tractor, remove the toplink, get a couple of gorillas to help you lift the drag into a vertical orientation, then chain the drag frame to something on the tractor to hold it up. Then raise the 3 point to the highest position and you should be able to sit and work on the bottom tooth in the flat. Spin the thing like the wheel of fortune to move to another tooth.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
    Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:06 am

Just checking back in. That was a big job! Mark - thanks for the idea for setting up the drag - of course my old tractor at home wouldn't start so my trusty flat bed was the fixture plate.

I ran a few test pieces and I didn't think that my little Millermatic had enough ass to weld all the joints on that 3/4" stock, so I bought a fair load of 7018 and practiced. A lot of the early welds were a bit dodgy looking, but by the end, it was going pretty well. I welded out all the out of position odds and ends with the Millermatic. It was maxed out and kept tripping the breaker but I learned a lot about flux core. Overall it was a great project - a lot of welding and consequently for me a lot of practice. Thanks again for everyone's help. I think my stick and Flux core skills are a bit better today than 3 days ago.
File Nov 03, 20 07 48.jpeg
File Nov 03, 20 07 48.jpeg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Tiger33
    Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:16 pm

U can’t run 6010 w the Lincoln squarewave 200. Tech suppt. Said the welder is not designed to run 6010 bc it’s an ac/dc rod and the welder is designed for dc only, as it pertains to stick welding
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Don't forget to check out the dates on the last post before you reply. The last post was 3 years ago.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Now that it was drug up........ how did the repair on the Drag hold up?
Curious minds want to know!
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
    Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:06 am

Pretty good! Nothing broke off - I still go to the same farm to work and I think it probably needs done again. Blue stone is pretty abrasive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk