General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rektrenegade
    Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 am

Hello all!

This is my first post in this forum. I've been listening to the podcast, and following Jody's work for years, but I've never posted up. But, I'm in a very fortunate place, and I need your advice.

I teach welding to high school students in Boise, Idaho. We've got 4 Miller 350P's and I've REALLY grown to love them, so I've been keeping my eye out for a second hand one for sale that I can add to my garage at home. Well, I've found one, and I could probably take it home for $1800-$2000. It's just the basic unit with no bottle, but I think that's a pretty killer deal.

Now that I've saved enough, I'm second guessing spending the money on that. It's a bit overkill for my needs in my garage/shop. Right now I'm running a Lincoln ProMig 175, and I've never needed anything larger for the jobs I do. I'd like the 350P because I love the pulse spray abilities, but that's a hefty investment for something I might use 5% of the time. Also, I'd have to install a 60A service in my garage, which I can do myself, but it adds to the investment.

I've also thought about the Miller Multimatic 215. I like the dual voltage, great user interface for when I teach friends to weld, and it adds a little punch over my current 175, while being easier on electricity.

Another option could be the ESAB Rebel 235ic. I could achieve spray with it, dual voltage, and can accept a 33# spool of wire.

So...... 350p, Multimatic 215, or Rebel 235? Or, just save my money and only invest when I need the extra juice?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard mate!

Here is my question for you. What type of projects do you work on? Do you do repair jobs, jobs that you could use scratch start tig, chassis, etc? What you use it for will decide what or if you need for a new welder.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Rektrenegade

Thanks for the welcome!

I kind of do all sorts of jobs. It can range from Auto body to garden art to trailers. I'm considering hanging my shingle out a little bit more though to expand the side hustle. There's a possibility that I may have the opportunity to build some chassis's for a local tiny house builder as well - which prompted the desire for the 350p. It's more of a commercial machine. But, my 175 could do the job unless the frequency ramps up to warrant a necessary upgrade.

I'm also running a ThermalArc 185, so my TIG/Stick requirements are meet as well. One reason I'm considering a multi-process platform is because I've been thinking of doing some community teaching here at home in addition to the teaching I'm doing at school. I'd have the opportunity to have two students TIG-ing at the same time. But it's not completely necessary.

????? I don't know what to do. I've saved for quite a while to snag a 350p when I found one, but now I'm not so sure. Lol!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

That MultiMatic or the Lincoln 210MP would be my recommendation. TIG/Stick, MIG, Spool (aluminum) and Flux Core all in a single dual voltage box weighing less than 30# is dang hard to beat. I have the MM200 and use it often when I need to weld away from home. A 10# Spool of hardwire or self shielded wire lasts an awfully long time. Quiet as a mouse too and will easily run all day off of a 5KVa gennie.
Rektrenegade

Yes, that's kind of how my guts feeling as well. I'm leaning towards the 215 over the 210MP because of it's dual gas solenoids. It'll be a more convenient transition from GMAW to GTAW if needed. But, like you stated, dual voltage, compact package, easy on electricity - those are all hard to beat qualities! It would give me the capability to work remotely as well. That's something I can't do right now. Great input, thanks!
cj737

I splurged and added Western quick connects to my machines, hoses, torches etc. Allows me to slip-disconnect tanks, switch has, or remove my torches instantly without issues. I can use 75/25 or 100% when I MIG hardwire then swapcto spool gun for ally. Same port, different tank. Boom, done.
Rektrenegade

Thanks for the tip on the fittings. That's what we use at my school, and they do work out great.

Well, I jumped in and bought the Multimatic 215 and laid my first couple of welds last night. I haven't welded enough with it to make a great review, but I'm REALLY impressed with the arc characteristics while stick welding. I burned one 3/32 7018 rod and it welded better than any machine I've ever used. Buttery smooth.

I'll have to dig in more with MIG, but my first weld didn't knock my socks off. It seemed a bit cold in my opinion I'm sure I need to dial it in more, but it was late and I was excited to just melt some metal with the new toy!

Thanks all for your help and guidance!
cj737

Rektrenegade wrote:Thanks for the tip on the fittings. That's what we use at my school, and they do work out great.

Well, I jumped in and bought the Multimatic 215 and laid my first couple of welds last night. I haven't welded enough with it to make a great review, but I'm REALLY impressed with the arc characteristics while stick welding. I burned one 3/32 7018 rod and it welded better than any machine I've ever used. Buttery smooth.

I'll have to dig in more with MIG, but my first weld didn't knock my socks off. It seemed a bit cold in my opinion I'm sure I need to dial it in more, but it was late and I was excited to just melt some metal with the new toy!

Thanks all for your help and guidance!
It’s been my experience with my 200 that the AutoSet for MIG is pretty cold. I use it to get me close, then turn it off, and restore the baseline settings, then crank it up to where it should be.