Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
WILD BILL
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 pm

I finally got all the parts to build my cooler. I had ordered the quick connects for the lines some time ago but even with those I think the entire build cost with everything was less than $200.

The tank is a go kart fuel tank that holds 7 quarts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

The pump is a Little Giant that I found a Grainger.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LITTLE ... Pump-2P018

For those that have an Everlast welder, I got a monitor extension cord to power the pump right off the back of the welder. I used a plug out of an old Power supply for the other side and mounted it right into the cart. Simple plug and play.

I opted to not build an enclosure and just build it directly onto the cart. With the small space available building it right on to the cart left just enough room for the pedal to sit in front of cooler and the bottom self.

Initial test show the pumps flows coolant adequately through the Everlast torch. I'm still waiting on the new power cable for my WP 20 to test that one.

Unfortunately I have not yet done any welding with it to make test it's cooling performance as I found a leak at one of the quick connect fittings.
Everlast 225LX
ChazMclean
    Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 pm

What are you using for the heat exchanger/radiator? I ended up buying my cooler from HTP when i got my TIG, which was around $500. I thought about making my own like you are doing, and i figured it would end up being around $300 or so for the parts. I am curious to see how it works.
WILD BILL

I don't do a lot of welding and what I do is mostly light work. My hope is that the quantity of coolant is enough to keep the temps reasonable but I will keep an eye on and have left enough room on the cart and in the hose to add a heat exchange system if it turns I'm wrong.
Everlast 225LX
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

1-Are you just using straight water to cool it? Or some sort of water/glycol mixture.

2-What are your opinions about the pump? It seems pretty big/powerful. I wonder if you could get by with a smaller one.

Pretty cool though :) I'm looking to build a little hydroponic garden this year (to supplement my dirt garden) and I plenty of material layin around, maybe after I buy my new welder i'll build a water cooler for it as well :)

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/potabl ... alog/N-aud

Would something like that work?
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
WILD BILL

I'm using RV antifreeze that I had left over from last winters winterizing of the motor home.

I wondered for a long time about a smaller pump and read many mixed reviews about people using aquarium pumps but didn't want to take the gamble. It flows pretty good through the big Everlast torch but I' think the WP20 has a smaller orifice and as I have still not heard anything from the guy I ordered the replacement power cable from on EBay i have yet to be able to test the set up entirely.

I might just have to order one from Arc Zone when I order some new quick release fittings to replace the one that leaks.
Everlast 225LX
WILD BILL

Tonight I finally got the new power cable for my WP20 and was able to get some real testing for my cooler as I'm pretty sure the water passages in it are smaller than the Everlast torch.

First was the flow tests. I don't have a flow meter so all I could do was watch the return line and monitor the flow. It didn't appear to change at all for the flow test with the Everlast torch. Then, to really test the pumps performance, I hung the torch to ceiling in my garage (about 7 feet up) to test if it had enough pressure to push the coolant that high. Flow looked exactly the same as the first 2 tests.

Next it was time to test the cooling ability. For this I took a piece of 1/8" thick, 4"x2" steel and proceeded to lay down bead after bead only stopping long enough to reposition for the next pass. I had the amps set at 160 was was running pretty much full pedal the entire time.

The temp prose from 53*'s to 72*'s (Don't tell the wife I used her oven temp probe Image)

I have to admit I'm little surprised it rose that much but also I have to remember that this (for me) was an extreme test and that I'll probably never be doing any welding like that. At least nothing I can foresee.

Over all I'm pleased with it's abilities and I'm fairly confident it will be more than adequate for my needs. I am just a hobbyist after all and my needs aren't that great.

At least now I can weld with out my torch hand starting to smoke and FWIW, I think my welds are getting better.

I really need to get the hang of welding round pipe before I have to weld on my daughters dragsters. Image
Everlast 225LX