General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi Welders,

I'm working out a design for a Portaband saw table. I have two material choices in that I can cut down a 3' x 3' plate of 3/8" steel or butt weld two 14" long pieces of 6" x 1/4" steel. Ultimately, I would like to have a 12" x 14" table top. I kind of prefer going with butt welding the two pieces of 1/4" as I'd like to use the 3/8 plate for a small welding table surface.

I have a 180 amp Mig welder with gas and a 200 amp stick welder. Which type would be better suited for butt welding the 1/4"? If using stick, what would be a preferable stick type and diameter?

I'm also thinking that I should grind some bevels on the mating surfaces of the 1/4" plates. That way I have some open area for fill and hopefully good penetration. I'm open to any other suggestions that you may have as to how to achieve a good strong joint that won't warp the two pieces. I want to stay as flat as possible without just going out and purchasing a piece of 12 x 14 new.

Thanks,
Terry

There's only one way to find out. Might as well get started now...
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

For the time and effort involved, I'd just buy one from SWAG Offroad. I bought one a few years ago and love it. It is much better quality than I could produce and wasn't all that expensive. My shop rate is $80/hr and there is no way I could build this in less than 3-4 hours. They are a bargain.

While I agree with you on this, I thought that this would be a good opportunity to learn how to make a butt weld joint. Given my druthers, I would have already purchased the Grunblau design but he doesn't offer them anymore.

Thanks AKmud,
Terry

hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

TDubs wrote:While I agree with you on this, I thought that this would be a good opportunity to learn how to make a butt weld joint. Given my druthers, I would have already purchased the Grunblau design but he doesn't offer them anymore.

Thanks AKmud,
It looks like the Grunblau site is being redesigned, but it still has a link to a page for the Portaband stand, and I also saw one comment a month old on the youtube video about the stand from someone raving over having bought one from him.

That said, there is something to be said for making it yourself, even if you aren't saving money.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

hey_allen wrote:
That said, there is something to be said for making it yourself, even if you aren't saving money.
^^^ Agreed, you'll get more helmet time and fab experience if you make it yourself.

I'd say you're on the right road by beveling the 6x14 plates, and you'll probably want to stitch weld the seams to prevent warping. Do you have a flat surface to work on, so the plates are flat?
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Thanks Dave,

That's what I'm after.

I have some 3/8"and 3/4" plate that is somewhat flat. They have scale on them which I've never removed with a grinder yet. I was thinking of using one of those as a surface to weld on. I would like to eventually use the 3/8" plate for a small 24 x 24 welding table top until I can afford to build or buy a 3'x5' or larger.

With stitch welding, can I tack the two plates together on the ends and the middle grind the tacks flat, flip it over to do the same, the then do two stitch welds, grind flat, flip, rinse, wash, repeat until I have complete welds on both sides? i was thinking of grinding the two weld edges on the top and bottom so that they look like this:

><

Does this e sense? Also would it be better to MIG or stick weld these plates? Right now I have .030 and stargon on my MIG.

Thanks,
Terry

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If your beveling the edges then you should be fine. Either mig or stick would be acceptable. But warping will be your worst enemy. Especially if you want a flat table.
I have more questions than answers

Josh