General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So as I approach the end of my endeavor in my high school I have really been thinking about which way I want to go into welding. Part of me wants to do repair work on heavy equipment or railcars, or become a custom fabricator at a fab shop, or join my local steamfitters union. I have a guy at my church who is a steamfitter with the local 601 out of Madison. I am interested in these positions due to the higher level thinking of custom work, repair work, and dealing with circles and geometry. Obviously there is a money factor in joining the union, a big money factor, but what do you experienced folks think. I just want to have other perspectives. I really like the ability to use the Union's facilities to train and enhance my skills so I can be constantly learning. This is not intended for me to let you decide for me, just for other perspectives.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Nick, the union sounds like a good opportunity, however if you didn't go that route, what opportunities exist locally for you?
I've never been in the union so I can't comment about that.
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I know I get all my continuing ed classes free at the union training center. (There are a few special ones) like med gas that cost a little. I get access to the weld booths and materials for practice when ever I need it. Plus the option to take more classes a week at a time if I’m not too busy working.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

LtBadd wrote:Nick, the union sounds like a good opportunity, however if you didn't go that route, what opportunities exist locally for you?
I've never been in the union so I can't comment about that.
I live in a very rich manufacturing area. There are a lot of local manufacturers. We have several trailer and truck manufacturers, structural steel beam manufacturing, heavy plate welding with flux core, plenty of independent pipe companies, Fairbanks Morse which makes large engines, and countless others. We are also spoiled in my area, at least one of my instructors says so. A lot of jobs with quality pay usually.

Which brings another question. They say transferring from one steamfitter union to another is easy. If I want to move to Fargo, ND, is that simple to do? I still want to eventually move to that area later on and if I can keep my life as a steamfitter, why not?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick