General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
msal2436
    Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 am

Greetings everyone. I'm new here and I have just retired. I am a hobby welder and still in the beginner stage. I have a Mig welder and a Arc/stick welder passed down to me. My Arc welder must be plugged into a 220 outlet; however, we just moved and the house we moved in to has only 110 outlets. Even my dryer is 110. Is it possible to change out the 220 cord on my Arc welder and convert it to a 110? My hobbies to not require such powerful heat that a 220 might produce. I mainly do square tube welding building yard landscape fences, etc.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Power in the US is based on bringing 220v into the service panel, so unless the house is really old I would guess that if you look at your service panel it is 220v. If there's room for another breaker you could add it. If there really isn't 220v, you can buy a converter to go from 110 to 220, that would probably be about $100-$150 depending on power requirement. The other issue is that when you wire a 110v outlet for that much power you'll need really big wire, a big breaker and a big receptacle, especially if your welder is very far from the service panel. The other option is if you open the welder and look at the transformer, it might have taps for 110v.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200