General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
loudandgreen
    Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm

LtBadd wrote:Miller has the 190 and the 141, only the 190 uses 220v
Lincoln has the MP180DV, which is a dual voltage machine
All of these are more then $500 though

There is ESAB and Everlast, don't know the details without looking them up
I called Everlast today with questions especially about the inverter systems and how they compare to a regular transformer system and nothing useful came out that convo, so it looks like i will mark them off my list and see what is offered by other companies.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Eastwood has a 175amp mig/flux core welder with spool gun included on sale for $479.00. Reviews seem generally pretty good. At 89lb this must be a transformer unit.
Last edited by homeboy on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inverters have been around long enough that better sources are available for that info, that said Everlast does make some compelling machines at good price points, and you'll find plenty of folks that like them, and also don't.

Also, for want you want I don't think a transformer unit is available (I could be wrong) unless you buy used
Richard
Website
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

The European Union passed laws about worker exposure to EMF from welding, and as part of that legislation developed software that can predict the EMF levels the worker will be exposed to. Assuming you know what levels are safe, you could use that program to determine the levels for arc, mig and tig at various currents, and see which ones are safe for you. I think it's free, you can setup an account at this site.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

If you want to know how inverters work you will need to pick up a text book to get a dumbed down version of how it works. There simple in concept but also hard to explain though.

Basically they take AC current convert it to DC then convert it to high frequency AC 25 KHz then step it down to lower voltages via a transformer and then back to DC..
Remember the DC is filtered before it's output ed

It's hard to get stuff like that from any welding company.. I get the same kinds of answers from Everlast as I do from miller or Lincoln.. can be a pain

As for a mig welder I would look for a inverter as any welder below 200A that is transformer will be a consumer grade one and there kinda crappy. Everlast makes one, ESAB might, in fact I might suggest contacting them as there a European company. But maybe do it via there UK website and explain why your contacting them n not there US website.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
loudandgreen
    Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm

LtBadd wrote:inverters have been around long enough that better sources are available for that info, that said Everlast does make some compelling machines at good price points, and you'll find plenty of folks that like them, and also don't.

Also, for want you want I don't think a transformer unit is available (I could be wrong) unless you buy used
I would get an inverter unit but i don't know how my pacemaker would react to it because as far as i know the limitations that are currently written for a welder are for a transformer style welder i think but not sure. When i asked manufacture of pacemaker they seemed abit confused and kept saying to check with manufacturer of welder which is when i called Everlast. ...and that was useless as well.

I would love to atleast try an inverter version because that would be great because i have a bad back but i don't know that much about the interference IF any between it and pacemaker. ....that's why I'm thinking it would be easier just to stick to the usual transformer units
DavidHamilton
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:42 am

I'm not much help here, but I hope that you can find a good solution so you won't have to panic too much about the different equipment that you can or can't use around your unit. I n Geelong I had a friend who's in the situation that you're in that ended up giving up all this sort of labour to play safe. Hopefully you won't need to do this, but do consider it for health's sake!
David Hamilton, Operations Manager at:
http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/geelong/