General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You should size your breaker by the machine’s need, not a random choice. A 110v welding machine should not be drawing 30amps. And 10ga wire is much thicker than you need. If it is not a dedicated circuit, that would be better than over-provisioning the devices on that circuit. Breakers are for device protection and exceeding the devices needs with more amperage is bound to fry your device.

Turn everything but the welder on, close the breaker to identify exactly what’s connected. Turn those OFF, breaker ON, then run the welder. Problem persist? If so it’s the machine. If not, it’s over loaded. Don’t guess with electricity, deduce for safety.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

You should size your breaker by the machine’s need, not a random choice. A 110v welding machine should not be drawing 30amps. And 10ga wire is much thicker than you need. If it is not a dedicated circuit, that would be better than over-provisioning the devices on that circuit. Breakers are for device protection and exceeding the devices needs with more amperage is bound to fry your device.

Turn everything but the welder on, close the breaker to identify exactly what’s connected. Turn those OFF, breaker ON, then run the welder. Problem persist? If so it’s the machine. If not, it’s over loaded. Don’t guess with electricity, deduce for safety.

Cj
good advise. ill take a step to the right and create a 20amp 12 wire line for this machine and try it.
it will be close (within 18" of panel which is less then two years old (100 amp) and try the welder.
like I've said before if it still trips the breaker ill buy one that runs on 220
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox

latest on mig welder issue:
ran short line (less then 18") of 12 wire, new breaker, new outlet.
same issues. emailed Miller tech waiting for reply.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:latest on mig welder issue:
craig
Bummer, sorry to hear that Craig, hopefully they can help.
Richard
Website
cj737

motox wrote:latest on mig welder issue:
craig
If you had run the simple test I set out for you first, then you would have known it’s a machine issue, not a service issue. At least now when you get your machine working properly, you’ll have dedicated service for it.

Breakers don’t get “weak” over time, they either work or they don’t. They fail when overloaded regularly as they should. A breaker tripping is not normally a sign of a faulty breaker (rare unless they’re rather old) but a sign off too much demand, or damaged wiring/poor connections.
motox

CJ
took your advise and shut down everything but the new designated line
20 app 12 wire new outlet.
guess its a machine issue.
waiting for Miller to get back to me.(email)
tried calling but 25 min on hold is not in my comfort zone.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
cj737

motox wrote:CJ
took your advise and shut down everything but the new designated line
20 app 12 wire new outlet.
guess its a machine issue.
waiting for Miller to get back to me.(email)
tried calling but 25 min on hold is not in my comfort zone.
craig
You can try to reach the Support guys at IOC (weldingsuppliesfromioc.com). I have found them to be very good, very helpful. And if you need to reach Miller TS, they provide a direct number into the Support line instead of through the switchboard.