General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
cruzin-n-fusion
    Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:09 pm

im from south louisiana , where welders are in high demand right now i work for a rail car company in which i started learning how to weld about 7 months ago my goal is to be a combo welder , but the ol rail car buisness lets just say the standards aint to high , but all of the schools around hear are all day classes and the ABC school you have to be sponserd by a company or its an arm and a leg? i guess my question is . Because i dont have the luxuary of going to school durring the day and my company is not part of the abc program and i doomed to a life of working in a coker unit at exon mobil turning out the best welds on rust bucket rail cars? any one know of any night classes or any one who will teach me for beer ive got my own rods and even an ol weld craft tig torch thats driving me nuts in my closet that i cant play with.. im going crazy man... maybe its the coke ----the black kind that is
rickbreeezy
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

If you can't make youur way into school, maybe you need some on the job training. Alot Shutdown/turnaround companies will hire less than perfect hands, and the experiance in my opinion is very valuable. If You can get on with one of these, working some 7 day, 12 hour shifts will allow you to meet alot of people and get a variety of experiance, all the while giving you enough money to go to school when you get back in town with your layoff/unemployment money.

I used to work for a company out of St. louis. Nooter constuction. www.nooterconstruction.com

Also, I hear zachery is big in that area.

www.zachry.com

Give it your best shot.

-Rick
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Lots of us in the same boat right now bud. Now is not a good time to be tryin for a career change. Once the economy picks up itll be differant. But with things how they are right now just gotta tough it out.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
cruzin-n-fusion
    Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:09 pm

hey guys thanks for the replys im new to this site but i get a good since of community here much appreciated