General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So tomorrow I go in to a local company to discuss an internship while I am in high school with the company. This seems less formal than an interview and an actual job placement, but it has stirred up the thought of, what is different about welding job interviews. As I have gone through school, people always say dress professional as in shirt and tie, but I know for a job like this, that is not the case. So, what tips do you guys have for a young guy like myself starting out for interviews for a welding/fabrication job? What questions should someone be prepared to answer, what to wear, what to bring. If you have experiences, such as myself with farming which has lead to my ability to operate and maintain heavy machinery, is that something to bring up? Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Farmwelding wrote:If you have experiences, such as myself with farming which has lead to my ability to operate and maintain heavy machinery, is that something to bring up?
Absolutely, yes, bring it up! What does "operate and maintain heavy machinery" mean? That you do it safely, and responsibly, with a specific job in mind, and with a minimum of run-time to minimize costs. Just because it happened on a farm doesn't mean it's any less meaningful, or worthwhile: a farm is a business too, and you can emphasize that you learned and applied those business skills. You might have to bring up specific examples to get the point across, though, so it can't hurt to have them ready in your back pocket.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Bring anything you need to display all your technical skills (except the weld machine and filler). Running a bead( grinder or not) is your most important skill. Complain/don’t complain, doesn’t mater to the employer. People skills are probably more important. Most first weld jobs are just requisite that you can maintain an arc with there chosen processes.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Dress ready to make a weld, but look well dressed. Just try to relax so you can answer in a thoughtful manner, don't talk fast and use good grammar, be honest and enthusiastic.

Good luck Nick, I think you'll do well ;)
Richard
Website
Farmwelding

LtBadd wrote:Dress ready to make a weld, but look well dressed. Just try to relax so you can answer in a thoughtful manner, don't talk fast and use good grammar, be honest and enthusiastic.

Good luck Nick, I think you'll do well ;)
Well formally I can't touch any welding equipment due to the fact I am currently under the age of 18. The person I have been contacting attended a meeting I went to that was an advisory meeting at my college and from what she heard there she really wanted me to work there so for the next couple months the plan is to shadow all the parts of the manufacturing there including engineering which will be interesting and as soon as I turn 18 actually start working.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Poland308

My son is in the same boat. Under 18. So it’s hard to start a job. Take whatever they offer. It’s essentially free learning. With the possibility of a career you may not have anticipated.

Josh
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm friends with the guy who runs the welding program at the local community college. He says the top 3 reasons kids they place in welding jobs lose those jobs are: using the cell phone too much at work, not showing up on time or at all, and not following safety rules. So I'd emphasize your commitment to being reliable and safe. And whatever you do turn off your phone during the interview and maybe don't even have it with you.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

So... how'd it go!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Farmwelding

Artie F. Emm wrote:So... how'd it go!
Well...the lady I was meeting with got sick today so most likely I will go back Monday.
Nick
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

1, arrive ahead of time. Realize the interview begins with whoever first greets you and behave appropriately from the moment you walk in. Half of potential hires flunked out before I saw them either because of how they spoke to Evie or because they were too lazy to grab the empty cup in reception and put it in the trash can. That cup told us a lot about the quality of a potential hire.

2, Speak American Standard English, and don't be afraid to say "I don't know that word" if you hear a word you don't know.

3, be polite. Nobody expects you to know much, and experienced people will bend over backwards to help you, if you're polite and express desire to learn.

4, sum up your understanding of the interview before you leave. Ask for the person's email and send a memorandum of understanding too.

It all begins with communication, and frankly very little communication is going on in the information age. Do not TXT, instawhatever, or abbreviate when you email. If I gotta decode it I damn well ain't reading it.
Poland308

Franz© wrote:1, arrive ahead of time. Realize the interview begins with whoever first greets you and behave appropriately from the moment you walk in. Half of potential hires flunked out before I saw them either because of how they spoke to Evie or because they were too lazy to grab the empty cup in reception and put it in the trash can. That cup told us a lot about the quality of a potential hire.

2, Speak American Standard English, and don't be afraid to say "I don't know that word" if you hear a word you don't know.

3, be polite. Nobody expects you to know much, and experienced people will bend over backwards to help you, if you're polite and express desire to learn.

4, sum up your understanding of the interview before you leave. Ask for the person's email and send a memorandum of understanding too.

It all begins with communication, and frankly very little communication is going on in the information age. Do not TXT, instawhatever, or abbreviate when you email. If I gotta decode it I damn well ain't reading it.
Yeah I stop paying attention right after the first :lmfao or cul8r

Josh
Farmwelding

Don't worry. I don't use abbreviations when texting or emojis even. I hate them. I don't know what any of them mean and don't care to learn what they mean. It really pisses me off when people say stuff like "lol"
Nick
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

biggest thing i can tell you once you start the job is prepare to be someone's bitch for a while Ie running the grinder alot and going to get parts but if they like how you take it and you get threw that with little to no complaning and show a desire to work (in my case) they will want to get you to a weld test of some sort in short order.. at my job i am already starting to get started with a 2G xray test on 1 inch with metal core.. with in 3 days of working there..

on the grinder be prepaired for them to give you the biggest grinder they got too.. why because there trying to test you.. they might give you a huge ass angle grinder with the shittiest grinding wheel known to man. and for the love of god dont complain about it to much.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Farmwelding

Artie F. Emm wrote:So... how'd it go!
I have a guaranteed posistion as soon as I turn 18. I have to submit my resume in the next couple of weeks. I will be rotating around the shop in the different departments and will be paid $16 an hour and work on my own schedule.
Nick

Great news Nick, congratulations!! How long until you're 18?
Richard
Website
Farmwelding

LtBadd wrote:Great news Nick, congratulations!! How long until you're 18?
End of February sadly :cry:
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:
LtBadd wrote:Great news Nick, congratulations!! How long until you're 18?
End of February sadly :cry:
Well December is almost over, January is right around the corner and January never lasts long, heck, it's almost like February is already here if you think out it! It's just like a couple of days, you'll see. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again congrats Nick, and that's a nice starting wage.
Richard
Website
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Few things I can tell you for when you start,

Safety equipment is there for a reason. Learn the reason and use the equipment. You only get one chance.

NEVER be seen with your hands in your pockets. Old hands consider that means you're lazy.

If you're finished with the job you were assigned, grab the broom and look for things to sweep up. Standing still means you're a target if you ain't furniture.

DON'T tell an old hand you learned how to do that in school. He's giving you instructions for a reason, and he controls your future. School was the place you had 8 hours to do a half hour job. You're headed into the real world now.

If it isn't your habit already make it your habit to call all men sir and all women mamm till they tell you otherwise. Respond to whatever people call you. Most won't bother to learn your name till they figure you'll be around a while.