General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So in fabrication like in your home shop, how do you determine weld size? Or for that matter, how do you determine which process to use? Any tricks and tips?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Here's a copy of AWS D1.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j1w5bj5vq2x4 ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Reading and digesting it will go a long way.

Let me know if the link works for downloading for you.

Deciding what process is a matter of what machine is already out, is the metal dirty and rusty even after cleaning, do I just want a quick mig weld or a clean and pretty tig weld, am I in the mood for stick welding to keep skills current, am I in "production" mode and need to hurry, etc :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding

MinnesotaDave wrote:Here's a copy of AWS D1.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j1w5bj5vq2x4 ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Reading and digesting it will go a long way.

Let me know if the link works for downloading for you.

Deciding what process is a matter of what machine is already out, is the metal dirty and rusty even after cleaning, do I just want a quick mig weld or a clean and pretty tig weld, am I in the mood for stick welding to keep skills current, am I in "production" mode and need to hurry, etc :D
I found a pdf version a little while back and heck I started printing it out. Just so much information and so excessive in some ways. Important but excessive at some points. So determining how to weld something in shop is based on you feel that day? I get that.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

Farmwelding wrote: I found a pdf version a little while back and heck I started printing it out. Just so much information and so excessive in some ways. Important but excessive at some points. So determining how to weld something in shop is based on you feel that day? I get that.
I never printed it since I like to use the "Find" feature on the computer.
Faster for me when looking up specific items again later.

But I'd prefer it in its original book form if I had it - it would be heavily bookmarked and highlighted after a while.

Yep, mig/tig/stick is often a matter of how i feel that day :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It all depends on machine, material, and application. If you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. If you have all processes available to you, then you decide: is it structural and will it show? Yes, and no it won't, so I Flux Core or Stick it. Is it aluminum, and is it important? Yes, I TIG it. Is it aluminum and is there a lot of weld to perform? Yes, I MIG it. Is it round tubing and does appearance matter? Yes, I TIG it. Is it some 40 year old piece of rusty, crusty, oil soaked farm gear? Yes, grinder and some stick rods.

Its really that simple once you determine the strength requirements can be met with the process, then its which process produces the best results for the application (and your time).

cj737 wrote:It all depends on machine, material, and application. If you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. If you have all processes available to you, then you decide: is it structural and will it show? Yes, and no it won't, so I Flux Core or Stick it. Is it aluminum, and is it important? Yes, I TIG it. Is it aluminum and is there a lot of weld to perform? Yes, I MIG it. Is it round tubing and does appearance matter? Yes, I TIG it. Is it some 40 year old piece of rusty, crusty, oil soaked farm gear? Yes, grinder and some stick rods.

Its really that simple once you determine the strength requirements can be met with the process, then its which process produces the best results for the application (and your time).
Real fine summary right there :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Many times my process is chosen because of the environment I’m working in.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Farmwelding wrote:....how do you determine weld size?....
see my responses at this thread.

Note, Minimum Weld Size for D1.1 and D14.4.
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
Farmwelding

So does making a fillet weld larger then the base metal affect the properties of the weld like excessive face reinforcement does?
Nick
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Farmwelding wrote:So does making a fillet weld larger then the base metal affect the properties of the weld like excessive face reinforcement does?
No {strength} credit is given to any weld size LARGER than the required minimum specified by code. Ever.

Welds exceeding the minumum size are sometimes called out and executed based on aesthetics. More commonly, designers/engineers OverDesign joints and do so at the result of increased time & co$t.

If you are serious about learning -The Why?- of welded joint designs,Then source/acquire/devour EVERYTHING written and available by Omer Blodgett. He, assisted by other wizards operating in the shadows in the 50s-80s, "wrote the book" on smart design of welded connections.

#RIPOmer
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
Farmwelding

Okay, I probably should have asked this before I built the skid steer trailer mover. Used their plate which I beleive to be 3/16" and the plate and tubing were 1/4" and I'm sure the welds ended up at at least 3/8" with short circuit mig. Welded all around the base of the tubing and 8 gussets. Should be good then.
Nick