General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

As I plan on getting an oxy fuel set up, is there any brands or types of welding/brazing rod that are better than others? Is there enough of a difference between R45 and R60 to get the R60 or is R45 enough?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Not sure if brand matters, but I invested in those sealed containers to store them. The first batch I bought got all rusty because my shop isn't always heated. R45 is for low strength steel, R60 for structural steel or castings, so it depends what you're doing.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Farmwelding

MarkL wrote:Not sure if brand matters, but I invested in those sealed containers to store them. The first batch I bought got all rusty because my shop isn't always heated. R45 is for low strength steel, R60 for structural steel or castings, so it depends what you're doing.
For now my welding would be limited to small fab projects. Stuff like a guard for lawn mower or lawman mower repair possibly if necessary. So if I decided to do stronger work I should use R60?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Farmwelding wrote: For now my welding would be limited to small fab projects. Stuff like a guard for lawn mower or lawman mower repair possibly if necessary. So if I decided to do stronger work I should use R60?
I used RG45 for years on farm type repairs- bush hog, fence panels, etc, before I got a tig welder. I've never used RG60 but it's a different composition so I'd guess it behaves a bit different. I'd try both and if the RG60 works OK and it's not a lot more expensive, just use it all the time.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Farmwelding

MarkL wrote:
Farmwelding wrote: For now my welding would be limited to small fab projects. Stuff like a guard for lawn mower or lawman mower repair possibly if necessary. So if I decided to do stronger work I should use R60?
I used RG45 for years on farm type repairs- bush hog, fence panels, etc, before I got a tig welder. I've never used RG60 but it's a different composition so I'd guess it behaves a bit different. I'd try both and if the RG60 works OK and it's not a lot more expensive, just use it all the time.
Oddly enough, the R60 is a little cheaper but I'll probably buy both to have around.
Nick